39 + 1 Answers

Hello, hello!  Photo op from Chinatown during Chinese New Year.  [Year of the Horse, see?]

Hello, hello!
Photo op from Chinatown during Chinese New Year. Year of the Horse!

Readers old & new – welcome!  We’ll get around to some more formal introductions soon enough.  But for now, it’s time to end the blogging hiatus.  And what better way to do that than with an old-school email-style things-about-you (me) survey.

I found this one on Olive To Run‘s blog last week, and it seemed like the perfect way to break the ice.  A little bit of personal info, a little bit of fun, and nothing too serious (yet).  We’ll get there – but for now:

39 + 1 Questions
(because Who Stops At 39?)

1. Were you named after anyone? Nope. My parents could agree on the name “Holly”, and that was that.  I love it because it’s not totally weird, but also not terribly common.  Plus, “Holly.  Like, Hollywood,” makes it very easy to communicate my name, without any spelling or shenanigans.

2. When was the last time you cried? Funny, because I almost mentioned something about this to my husband this morning.  I cried a lot when I did research science.  Nowadays, I hardly cry at all.  Seems I handle stress better when I adore my job and feel very passionately about what I do!  I have no idea of the last time I cried.  Truly.

3. Do you like your handwriting? Nope.  But KMN has very nice writing, when necessary.  I just ask him to write important things.  Or I use the label maker ask him to make a label for me.  [It’s fine.  He loooooves the label maker.]

Not exactly pretty, but it works for me.

Not exactly pretty, but it works for me.
Also, there are 5 Attacks.

4. What is your favorite lunch meat? Kinda over most lunch meat, so let’s just say…cheese!  I could go for a thick, savory slice of provolone right about now…

5. Do you have kids? I have composting worms, and we’re growing tomato plants.  Also, I will totally play with other peoples’ babies until the poop or cry.

Baby tomato plants!   And those are the varieties, not their names, folks.

Baby tomato plants!
And those are the varieties, not their names, folks.

6. If you were another person, would you be friends with you? This is a most bizarre question.  But…I guess so?

7. Do you use sarcasm a lot? Not too often in writing.  I’m paranoid about being mis-understood.

8. Do you still have your tonsils? Yes, despite umpteen bouts of strep throat as a kid.  When the doctor threatened, “If you get strep once more this year, we’ll have to take those out,” I promptly ceased getting strep.  Apparently, my tonsils are easily intimidated.

9. Would you bungee jump? I’d rather zipline.  I generally don’t do gimmicky races but am seriously, SERIOUSLY considering the Mount Imbiah Challenge, if only for the final zip line!

10 What is your favorite cereal? Granola.  I know granola is only supposed to be a garnish, but I could pour myself a whole big bowl and gobble it down. Especially the Quaker kind in bags, from Costco.  Unfortunately, choices are somewhat more limited in Singapore.

11. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Yes – in the elevator on the way up to our floor.  It’s hilarious when our neighbors are waiting for the elevator, and the doors open, revealing me, all bent over and untying my shoes.  Then, I tromp off, laces dragging behind me.  Although honestly, the only time I wear laced shoes is to workout.

12. Do you think you are strong? Not a doubt in my mind.

13. What is your favorite ice cream? Orange chocolate bitters (dark Belgian chocolate + Triple Sec) from Udders.

14. What is the first thing you notice about other people? Depends on how/where I’m seeing them – face-to-face, I probably notice height or glasses first.  At a distance/from the side/in the gym, I first notice how they move.  Occupational hazard.

15. Red or pink? RED!!!

16. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? That the 6 years I spent getting a PhD taught me how to doubt myself and my abilities.  And not in a humble way, but in a gross, fearful, second-guessing kind of way.  But I’m working on getting over that bit.

17. Any tattoos? Nooooo.  But I’ve wanted one – I already know what and where – for about 10 years now.  Just haven’t had the guts to actually go for it.  [Dad, you are not reading this.]

18. Do you have any hobbies?
 Baking?  Cooking?  <— Hobbies or necessities?  I’ve tried to knit, but never stuck with anything…and that hobby is kinda superfluous in Singapore.  I sing (off-key but enthusiastically).  I Sudoku sometimes.  Does any of that count? Maybe?

19. What color shoes are you wearing? Black Adidas nubbly slippers – my “inside shoes”.

Because there are not enough pictures of my feet on the internet already.

Because there are not enough pictures of my feet on the internet already.

20. What was the last thing you ate? A ginger cookie.  Om-nom-nom.  Stay tuned for the recipe, because DANG they are good!!!

OK, so there wasn't any chocolate milk today. Or a fancy napkin. But there were cookies!

OK, so there wasn’t any chocolate milk today. Or a fancy napkin. But there were cookies!

21. What are you listening to right now? The fan on the computer, my typing-tapping, and someone practicing the piano somewhere upstairs.

22. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? A deep, strong, rich RED.  Or a bright cheery YELLOW.  Or I guess I could be ORANGE, and have the best of both worlds. 😉

23. Favorite smells? Whatever brand of cologne KMN wore when we started dating, lilacs, cooking apples, and crispy line-dried sheets.  Not all at once, please.

24. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? Talked to KMN on the phone last night, while we were trying to find each other at the airport. But seriously.  Who uses the phone anymore??

25. Mountain hideaway or beach house? Mountains!  And please let there be some running trails snaking through them?  [Not to be confused with actual snakes.  I don’t need no snakes, thankyouverymuch.]

26. Favorite sport to watch? Not too keen on watching anything these days, really.  I do enjoy watching swimming competitions, though.  Team sports?  Basketball, maybe – but only professional.

27. Hair color? Short.  Oh, sorry – brown.

28. Eye colors? Depends on who you ask.  My license says grey.  KMN says green.  Or sometimes blue. ?

29. Do you wear contacts? Nope.  Proud owner of 2 awesome eyes right here!!!

30. Scary movies or happy endings? How about police procedurals/thrillers on audiobook? Not really a movie person.

31. Last movie you watched? Frozen.  So does that mean the answer above is ‘happy ending’?  Not sure.

32. What color shirt are you wearing? Purple.  But I’ve already worn a white shirt and a blue tank top today.  Again, occupational hazard.

33. Summer or winter? I live in the tropics now, which gets rather…sweaty, sometimes.  But I haven’t had to dig my car out in two years, and after living in upstate NY for the previous SIX years, this is a beautiful thing.

34. Hugs or kisses? Hugs.

35. Computer or television? Computer.  And this must be an old survey, ’cause aren’t all the cool kids watching TV on their computers these days?

36. What book are you reading right now? Palisades Park (Alan Brennert)

37. What’s on your mouse pad? Who needs a mouse pad?  My mouse works just fine on my desk.   We don’t spoil our mice in this household.

38. What color is your house? Errr…apartment?  The outside is white, brown, and pinkish.  I think?  *runs to check*

39. What color is your car? BWAHAHAHA. As I Tweetered earlier today: #carfreeisthewaytobe.  Yay public transportation!

Olive To Run added:
Why isn’t there a number 40? I hate odd numbers so I’m going to make one up.

40. What you go back to school for if money wasn’t an issue? Physical therapy.

Your turn: Answer the question that is the date (day) of your birthday!

Let me know which, if any, of these answers left you curious/wanting to know more.

[Note: The first time you Comment, you will go into review for my approval. After that, all of your comments should post immediately.  Pesky anti-spam measure, sorry!]

———-
Can’t get enough of Run With Holly?
Facebook: Run With Holly
Twitter: Coach_Holly
Email: runwithholly [at] gmail [dot] com

43 thoughts on “39 + 1 Answers

Sounds like a great carbs + protein recovery meal to me! But…does that mean you didn’t eat breakfast or lunch…?!?! :-O !!!

Thanks for stopping by, Simon – love seeing some readers in Singapore participate in the conversation – be it silly, foodie, or running-related!! Do come back again soon!

1. Jessica

24. My husband or maybe my mum , cant remember the order and my husband I sticking out as he was mad at me haha!

I love reading these posts, they remind me of high school email chain letters

2. Tina@GottaRunNow

I’ve seen those Adidas slippers. They must be comfortable if they’re your inside shoes. Yes, to granola but I think I always use it as an add-on, unless I’m just grabbing a handful!

Depends on who you ask, Tina. Some folks (KMN included) think the little nubbles are “painful and not nice!”. Personally, my calloused feet and I find them quite massaging and lovely. 🙂

3. Jenny

25. Beach please! I live in the mountains now, but I am so over winter for the moment. I could use a beachy getaway. Also, a hammock. And sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen.

🙂

Hm. We have a lot of coast (although the water isn’t really that lovely – ahem, huge port, ahem), some beach, and sufficient sunscreen. Wanna swing by? Alternatively, there are lots of nearby countries with plenty of gorgeous beach: Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia…Bali, anyone? =)

I am looking forward to that ginger cookie recipe–my favorite! Love that you untie your shoes in the elevator. Sounds smart to me. And I’m with you on mountains. I dream of living near the mountains sometime, but they must be warm mountains, not cold snowy mountains! (I know)

Hong Kong, maybe? Lots of the lower peaks don’t get tooooo cold. =)

Hint: Stock up no some dried ginger, and the associated spices (cloves, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg). This is a soft, spicy, ADDICTIVE cookie!!!

5. M

#12 – what a good one for me, with a big goal race coming up and peaking nerves making their presence known.

Answer: Sometimes yes, sometimes even definitely (he!!) yes, but there’s an under layer of “scared the answer is no” – I wonder if some of my drive is to continually, repeatedly prove to myself that I AM strong!

Wouldn’t mind earning this shirt

or feeling like I earned the BadAss socks I bought!

Hey, M! Thanks for stopping by!!! Love seeing my social media/blog buddy paths intersect. =)

And yes – I agree. The drive to prove ourselves (to ourselves) is a pretty common motivating factor, I think. Taken to the extreme, it can be dangerous. But in moderation, I think it’s a powerful motivator!!! Also, are those BadAss socks compression? I’ve seen a pair like that….and I love them!!!!

6. Karen

Have you ever tried making your own granola? It doesn’t have to be a garnish if it isn’t the super sweet store-bought kind. I eat it like cereal when I go backpacking. M eats it regularly with just milk.

20. The last thing I ate: Double Chocolate Brownie last night as a snack. Just about to head for breakfast now.

1. Karen

I’m not sure what you’ve done in the past so to make things easy, here’s my recipe (you can cut it in half or 1/4, it’s a big batch):
        8 c. oats
        1 c. each (or mix and match your favorites): unsweetened flaked coconut, unsalted sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, wheat germ or bran, slivered almonds, chopped walnuts.
        1/2 c. oil
        1 c. honey
        1 tbsp. vanilla (you could use lemon, almond, mint or whatever extract you wanted)

Toss all in a bowl and stir until evenly coated. Pour into two cake pans and toast in a 350F oven. Stir every 7-8 minutes until lightly browned (mine usually takes 25 min. total cooking time). Cool and serve. My husband also adds dried blueberries or raisins in afterward too.

Hmm…will give it a try. Does this recipe get all clumpy and nice, or just individual oats not sticking together? When I’ve tried in the past, I’ve basically ended up with single, crunchy, slightly-burned-tasting oat flakes…

7. Char

I really should say no ice cream because my stomach doesn’t like it BUT that would be a lie. I like lots of different flavours but rarely have any except after a race. Anything with nuts would be my choice.

Normally, I’m a chocolate gal. But recently, my husband ordered a scoop of maple walnut, and I think I ate about half of it (in addition to my own scoop)…thankfully, he’s very good at sharing! 😉

8. Katie

6. If you were another person, would you be friends with you? – Yes, shouldn’t that be everyone’s answer. I mean I suppose I would drive myself crazy with myself sometimes. However I do like me. Haha.

Your favorite ice cream sounds soo good right now. Maybe I should go eat lunch.
    Have a great week!

9. Alyssa

Ok that is a seriously cute pic of you two! And I love that you are a fellow cheese fanatic! I’ve been in a blogging rut, so I am totally stealing this for tomorrow!

Missed you! I’ve been on a bit of a blog hiatus for a while too. Hopefully will be posting sometime this week. At the moment, just catching up on others’ posts. 🙂

My fav ice cream — tough choice between Moose Tracks or Choc chip Cookie Dough. Mmmm! I don’t usually wear shoes in the house, so no shoes on at the moment. 🙂

It’s embarrassing – I took a weeklong course that gobbled all of my time, but then…for the next 10 days…I just lost my blogging mojo. Inertia, or something. But I think this post shook off that funk, and I’m ready to rock & roll again. Looking forward to what you have to say, too!

Cookie dough holds a special place in my heart – and I remember the very first time that I experienced the deliciousness of moosetracks. Yummmmmmmm!

11. Pingback: Blog post of Fun Q&A. Because it’s Fat Tuesday. Or Just Because. | Meg's Blog

That was easy. 15 – red or pink? red thanks! I have nothing against pink as a colour but I’d rather wear red.
    And I still haven’t tried Brownice – that needs to happen soon.

I am holding you to the ginger cookie recipe! I like your idea of answering the question that is the same number as your birth date. That gives me #12 and my answer is yes I am feeling strong right now because I just completed day 30 of the 30 Day Shred! 🙂

I think Jillian will do that to you! I sometimes tell my Express (30 min) cycling classes, “Like Jillian says: ‘If you want a 30 minute workout, you have to work HARD for all of those minutes!!!’ ” =)

14. Shoe

Hey, hey knitting is never superfluous 😛 And dayum, that orange-chocolate icecream from Udders is SO amazing!

I’m always suspicious of people with perfect eyesight… how do you guys do it?

Not that I love quoting pop music, but there’s nothing I can say except “I was born this way…” 😉

Knitting isn’t superfluous, per se…but it seemed far more applicable when I lived in Upstate NY. 🙂