I found this one on Olive To Run‘s blog last week, and it seemed like the perfect way to break the ice. A little bit of personal info, a little bit of fun, and nothing too serious (yet). We’ll get there – but for now:
39 + 1 Questions
(because Who Stops At 39?)
1. Were you named after anyone? Nope. My parents could agree on the name “Holly”, and that was that. I love it because it’s not totally weird, but also not terribly common. Plus, “Holly. Like, Hollywood,” makes it very easy to communicate my name, without any spelling or shenanigans.
2. When was the last time you cried? Funny, because I almost mentioned something about this to my husband this morning. I cried a lot when I did research science. Nowadays, I hardly cry at all. Seems I handle stress better when I adore my job and feel very passionately about what I do! I have no idea of the last time I cried. Truly.
3. Do you like your handwriting? Nope. But KMN has very nice writing, when necessary. I just ask him to write important things. Or I
use the label maker ask him to make a label for me. [It’s fine. He loooooves the label maker.]
4. What is your favorite lunch meat? Kinda over most lunch meat, so let’s just say…cheese! I could go for a thick, savory slice of provolone right about now…
5. Do you have kids? I have composting worms, and we’re growing tomato plants. Also, I will totally play with other peoples’ babies until the poop or cry.
6. If you were another person, would you be friends with you? This is a most bizarre question. But…I guess so?
7. Do you use sarcasm a lot? Not too often in writing. I’m paranoid about being mis-understood.
8. Do you still have your tonsils? Yes, despite umpteen bouts of strep throat as a kid. When the doctor threatened, “If you get strep once more this year, we’ll have to take those out,” I promptly ceased getting strep. Apparently, my tonsils are easily intimidated.
9. Would you bungee jump? I’d rather zipline. I generally don’t do gimmicky races but am seriously, SERIOUSLY considering the Mount Imbiah Challenge, if only for the final zip line!
10 What is your favorite cereal? Granola. I know granola is only supposed to be a garnish, but I could pour myself a whole big bowl and gobble it down. Especially the Quaker kind in bags, from Costco. Unfortunately, choices are somewhat more limited in Singapore.
11. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Yes – in the elevator on the way up to our floor. It’s hilarious when our neighbors are waiting for the elevator, and the doors open, revealing me, all bent over and untying my shoes. Then, I tromp off, laces dragging behind me. Although honestly, the only time I wear laced shoes is to workout.
12. Do you think you are strong? Not a doubt in my mind.
13. What is your favorite ice cream? Orange chocolate bitters (dark Belgian chocolate + Triple Sec) from Udders.
14. What is the first thing you notice about other people? Depends on how/where I’m seeing them – face-to-face, I probably notice height or glasses first. At a distance/from the side/in the gym, I first notice how they move. Occupational hazard.
15. Red or pink? RED!!!
16. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? That the 6 years I spent getting a PhD taught me how to doubt myself and my abilities. And not in a humble way, but in a gross, fearful, second-guessing kind of way. But I’m working on getting over that bit.
17. Any tattoos? Nooooo. But I’ve wanted one – I already know what and where – for about 10 years now. Just haven’t had the guts to actually go for it. [Dad, you are not reading this.]
18. Do you have any hobbies? Baking? Cooking? <— Hobbies or necessities? I’ve tried to knit, but never stuck with anything…and that hobby is kinda superfluous in Singapore. I sing (off-key but enthusiastically). I Sudoku sometimes. Does any of that count? Maybe?
19. What color shoes are you wearing? Black Adidas nubbly slippers – my “inside shoes”.
20. What was the last thing you ate? A ginger cookie. Om-nom-nom. Stay tuned for the recipe, because DANG they are good!!!
21. What are you listening to right now? The fan on the computer, my typing-tapping, and someone practicing the piano somewhere upstairs.
22. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? A deep, strong, rich RED. Or a bright cheery YELLOW. Or I guess I could be ORANGE, and have the best of both worlds. 😉
23. Favorite smells? Whatever brand of cologne KMN wore when we started dating, lilacs, cooking apples, and crispy line-dried sheets. Not all at once, please.
24. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? Talked to KMN on the phone last night, while we were trying to find each other at the airport. But seriously. Who uses the phone anymore??
25. Mountain hideaway or beach house? Mountains! And please let there be some running trails snaking through them? [Not to be confused with actual snakes. I don’t need no snakes, thankyouverymuch.]
26. Favorite sport to watch? Not too keen on watching anything these days, really. I do enjoy watching swimming competitions, though. Team sports? Basketball, maybe – but only professional.
27. Hair color? Short. Oh, sorry – brown.
28. Eye colors? Depends on who you ask. My license says grey. KMN says green. Or sometimes blue. ?
29. Do you wear contacts? Nope. Proud owner of 2 awesome eyes right here!!!
30. Scary movies or happy endings? How about police procedurals/thrillers on audiobook? Not really a movie person.
31. Last movie you watched? Frozen. So does that mean the answer above is ‘happy ending’? Not sure.
32. What color shirt are you wearing? Purple. But I’ve already worn a white shirt and a blue tank top today. Again, occupational hazard.
33. Summer or winter? I live in the tropics now, which gets rather…sweaty, sometimes. But I haven’t had to dig my car out in two years, and after living in upstate NY for the previous SIX years, this is a beautiful thing.
34. Hugs or kisses? Hugs.
35. Computer or television? Computer. And this must be an old survey, ’cause aren’t all the cool kids watching TV on their computers these days?
36. What book are you reading right now? Palisades Park (Alan Brennert)
37. What’s on your mouse pad? Who needs a mouse pad? My mouse works just fine on my desk. We don’t spoil our mice in this household.
38. What color is your house? Errr…apartment? The outside is white, brown, and pinkish. I think? *runs to check*
39. What color is your car? BWAHAHAHA. As I Tweetered earlier today: #carfreeisthewaytobe. Yay public transportation!
Olive To Run added:
Why isn’t there a number 40? I hate odd numbers so I’m going to make one up.
40. What you go back to school for if money wasn’t an issue? Physical therapy.
Your turn: Answer the question that is the date (day) of your birthday!
Let me know which, if any, of these answers left you curious/wanting to know more.
[Note: The first time you Comment, you will go into review for my approval. After that, all of your comments should post immediately. Pesky anti-spam measure, sorry!]