Good Mornings for a Wednesday (January 22, 2014)

I have four “unclaimed” hours between classes this afternoon, and I intend to spend them holed up, catching up on all of your blog posts from the past 10 days.  In the meantime, what better way to slide myself back into blog-land than with a Good Mornings post?

Lake Effect Shirt

USA, I’m with you in spirit!

We’re having a cold front in Singapore, too.
It’s hardly broken 85°F this week…

Lasagna in a Loaf Pan

Which of course makes for….perfect lasagna weather!

My new trick: Use a loaf pan to make lasagna for two.
I resurrected my Mom’s spinach-mushroom lasagna recipe.
A year apart from that deliciousness was far too long…

Basik!It’s…basik!  basik855, that is…

Socially responsible bags made from traditional Cambodian ikat fabric.
I helped fund a Kickstarter campaign for some new prints,
And my backer reward arrived in the mail last week!
[This is the first ‘clutch’ that I’ve ever owned, folks.]

Odd Bean OutI found a stowaway in my can of garbanzos!

Caption contest winner, Jenny T:
“It’s living its dream of being turned into hummus.
‘They said I could be anything, so I became a garbanzo bean…’ ”
[And she gets bonus points for a double-correct usage of it’s/its.]

Spinning with CompressionCoach Holly: Bringing compression to indoor cycling.

I’ve been subbing to cover a lot of RPM classes.
Add them to my running,
and the result is some very knotty calves.
This look is odd enough that folks can’t take their eyes off me during class.
^Every instructor’s dream.

Libby's Pumpkin PricingThat’s $6 USD for the big can of pureed pumpkin.

And that, my friends, is why I microwave & puree local pumpkins to make pie.
Yes, Thanksgiving was two months ago.
But we’re having friends over to celebrate again this weekend.
I love cooking Thanksgiving food, so why the heck not?

This post has two Drew University references in it.  Anyone?

Do you puree your own pumpkin?  Or eat pumpkin pie after December?

Continuing the “random” theme: What made you laugh today?

28 thoughts on “Good Mornings for a Wednesday (January 22, 2014)

I only puréed pumpkin once with my aunt. The only pie I think I make well is apple pie so that’s pretty much the default all year round. I think you should cook whatever you want whenever you want. It usually tastes better and makes you happy.

But everyone loves apple pie, so it’s always a good bet. And a great way to use the extra 100 lbs of apples that the fall brings! 🙂

I really like chocolate cream pie, but that’s hard to cut in small pieces, which is what everyone will demand on Saturday, so as to have the chance to sample EVERYTHING!! 🙂

Man, good thing you warned me about the pumpkin pie or I would be making some for Saturday! What else do you need/ would you like us to bring? Savoury things? Desserts?

3. Robert

New haircut?

And a cold snap is not breaking 85*!? I may have just crossed off Singapore from my list of places to visit.

Funny: My middle daughter Emma says the funniest things. Things like the Statue of Literacy instead of Liberty.

Hello, and welcome back to the blogosphere!!! Glad to see you back!!

The hair….went sometime this fall. Too much to wash and dry several times a day (see ’85*F’). Singapore is basically on the equator, so hot and humid is our thing!

I just love kid quotations. Seriously. I think every parent should keep a book of them or something. So much hilarity from such little mouths!! 🙂

4. Suzanne

What a great idea to use loaf pans! Wish this elf had thought of it! What makes me laugh? You do coach Holly. Love reading your posts and the picture of your calf was awesome! Have a great day!

Any time is a good time for pumpkin, in my opinion! I stock up on cans of puree in November so that I have them throughout winter.

A very funny post about two neighbors and a very large outdoor light that shined into the bedroom of the others made me laugh out loud. Wish I had the link and I would share it!

I always felt like pumpkin was a seasonal veggie; but out here, it’s never cold (I associate squash with fall/winter), and local pumpkin is available year-round at the same price. And lots of people cook it into curries and soups – so I’m relaxing my standards for what ‘season’ it belongs to!

Mmmmm — I love pie. I think apple is my favorite, but I like pumpkin too. Never tried to puree my own though! Also, I like making smaller dishes too. My husband claims every food has a “half life” in the refrigerator, and most are very short. He doesn’t eat very many leftovers. While I like leftovers, I don’t like to get stuck with the same food for a week!

7. Char

You cannot buy pumpkin in a can over here (or if you can I haven’t found it). So I do as you do. But I don’t make pie – just scones and cupcakes.

What do your local pumpkins look like, Char? Are they the jack-o-lantern kind that you see from the US, or the flattened green UFO-shaped ones we have in Singapore, or something totally different?!

8. Karen

I eat pumpkin year round. I think it’s silly to eat it only in the fall, especially when it comes to pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I do used the can stuff though. I must not be in a big pumpkin growing area because they are sold by the pound (like $1.50/lb.) and it is too much work for the same cost, so I go with the can.

Heck, when I’m in the US, I totally go with the can too! By the time the labor is added in, there’s no reason not to! I only DIY here because it’s considerably $$$ to buy in the can!

(Plus, when I make pumpkin pie, the whole filling bit gets hit with the immersion blender, so I don’t even have to pre-purée it!)

9. Jessica

I love pumpkin pie but I’ve never tried to make it.you cannot get that canned pumpkin here though.

I love those bags! So beautiful, awesome they are sustainably made. Cambodia is such an amazing place.

Well, I didn’t buy the canned pumpkin – what kind of fresh pumpkin can you get cheap? I use some kind of Asian pumpkin that is flattish and green on the outside. Cut it in half (don’t cut off your fingers, please!), scoop out the seeds, and microwave (cut side down) for 5-10 min, until soft. The just scoop out the flesh. If you’re keen, I can send you my recipe. I don’t even purée it first – just mix in the rest of the filling ingredients, blend it up, and dump it into the crust!

When my husband and I were dating we bought a pumpkin to make a pie. He called his mom to ask what to do, and she said to set the pumpkin aside as a fall decoration and to go to the grocery store and buy pumpkin puree. HaHa! We went to the store for the puree, but we cut the pumpkin and oven roasted the seeds!

You rock the indoor compression/cycling look! A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. My own reflection is equal parts laughable & pathetic right now. I’m sporting a lovely black eye, thanks to the back of my toddler’s skull connecting with my lower eye socket. Thankfully this happened AFTER I got home from a business trip & not before!

OUCH, is all I can say about that. Oh, and *cringe*. Believe me, the class will be seeing that look again! I’m loving teaching, and the spin is pretty safe, as it’s low-impact. But geez are my legs tired by the end of the week! 🙂

12. Kristen @ Happy Running Mama

The garbanzo bean caption made me laugh. Too funny!

What a great idea to make lasagna for two in a loaf pan!! I would probably end up making more than one but then I could easily freeze the other one for another meal. Thanks for the tip. 🙂

I need to hole up somewhere, too, and get back to blogging. I am not focused on any specific goals right now so I think that is keeping me from writing too much. I miss connecting with everyone, though. Hope you have a great week!

13. Cait the Arty Runnerchick

holy crap, i SERIOUSLY thought i was alone and the crazy person who is scooping up all that canned pumpkin during the rest of the year!! i dunno WAT it is, but pumpkin pie has a serious soft spot in my heart. like serious. they need to make it more all-year-round…hello, it totally is better than vanilla cake! #iplayforchocolate #andpumpkin 😉
    loving those socks, holly….and SOOO the best way to spend some free hours. 🙂 #addictedtobloggies

You know, I’m a chocolate-lover all the way, but I do love me some pumpkin pie, too – or is it just that I use the pie as a vehicle for whipped cream? Hmmm…. 😉

And yes…blog time isn’t ‘wasted’, it’s WELL SPENT!!