30 thoughts on “I Feel Like I Won The Lottery Today (Nov. 12)

OK, now that I know they have the Holly Stamp of Approval, I have to try Honey Stingers. If you’re willing to give up precious space in your luggage and cart them around the world, they must be good! And I can’t wait to check out basik855. It’s time to start thinking about Christmas shopping lists, after all!

I think run-nutrition is very personal – but Honey Stingers are less syrupy sweet, more substantial, and just…more appealing than most other options I’ve tried. Their waffles are also pretty good, but just don’t work for me while running (although I hear cyclists swear by them!). Pick up a package or two and give them a try. I’d recommend a flavor, except…I like them all! 🙂

2. Irina

I helped friends of mine with their kickstarter campaign for Ricefield Collective last spring (http://ricefield.co/), and got a nice hat in return 😉 It’s actually an awesome project – they teach women in the rural Ifugao province in the Philippines to knit hats and scarves during their “off” season.

Irina, I just check out that link – what an awesome project!! I love that their goal is to allow women to make a living wage in their home country, with their families. [Singapore is one place these women are going abroad to work, and the whole situation is so NOT ideal…]

Unfortunately, I have zero need for hats and sweaters, but…will be giving my Christmas list some thought. 🙂

3. Char

I’ll feel like I’ve won the lottery by the end of the day when university exams are done for my sons. Doesn’t matter that I’m not doing them, I always feel a bit stressed while they’re on. #1 son finished his final exam yesterday (he’s now a physiotherapist as well as an exercise physiologist) and #3 son has his last in four hours. Hmmm, I guess he should wake up soon.

That displaced anxiety is really hard because…besides providing support and a good meal (and having raised responsible kids), the rest is out of your hands! I’ll be breathing a sigh of relief for them – and you! 🙂

4. Stephanie@nowirun.com

I don’t even know what a Kickstarter is! That makes me feel like I’m learning something new today ~ which is always a good thing.

Today I feel like I won the lottery because one of my meetings was canceled. This is good because it is the only reason I’d have to haul myself back over to the math building in between teaching classes in the learning center. This meant 2 full hours of grading/reading/bill paying/emailing time! Yay!

I love Honey Stingers, too.
    Your love for your husband makes me happy! Good for you two. 🙂

I *love* when an unexpected cancellation gives me some bonus free time (especially when my schedule is packed and I’m feeling stressed) – because I wasn’t counting on having it, it’s doubly awesome. Glad you happened upon some today. 🙂

Check out Kickstarter – it’s an interesting concept, and a way you can invest in projects/people you believe in – but it’s definitely on the riskier side. We’ve helped crowd-fund a variety of projects…mostly recently basik855, but my husband also got involved in a guitar project (and now has a guitar from them!), and I’m still waiting for my brand-new Bia GPS watch (this one is running WAY behind schedule). Regardless, being part of the innovation process (for brand new products, esp. technology) can be pretty cool – especially when the project is together enough to offer frequent updates and “behind the scenes” glimpses at what’s going on!

Aw, what a sweet boy you have to bring back his wife some goodies! My husband’s away on a business trip right now and usually the only thing I like about it is that I can eat Pizza Hut without any guilt, haha 😉 Also, Running with Holly shirts?! Say whattt! I needs me one!

Well, I hope he brings you home something that makes you as giddy as the worm bin and Honey Stingers made me. =)

And honestly…his absence isn’t so bad for me because I’m not single-handedly attempting to wrangle a toddler AND a job, and keep both of us fed, clean, and reasonably happy. Doing all these things for one (adult) is approximately 5% of the effort. 😉

Just a test run for the shirts at present. But stay tuned…

I can hook you up with Honey Stingers; I agree they are the best and they always seem to appear in my house. My trusty man has guanxi with them. Gotta love Colorado connections.
    Funny story: I wrote a post a few months ago about Peloton cycles and they are on kickstarter and read and liked my post (I had no idea). Before I knew it, one day I had a bunch of hits from kickstarter and I was like huh? So I had to check it out. I don’t really suppose that is helping a campaign start, though.

Wow. Sounds like Colorado is like Singapore – everyone knows everyone. Except Colorado also has mountains, and nature reserves/parks when you can actually get LOST. =)

You know what? For something like a Kickstarter campaign, they need all the publicity, support, and positive reviews they can get. For potential investors, reading a report from someone who actually talked to the design team and touched some of their potential product, could mean quite a lot. You may not have contributed money, but if your write-up helped coax a reluctant investor, then you did them a solid regardless!

7. Karen@ La Chanson de Ma Vie

It is awesome he allotted so much suitcase space for your goodies, good husbands are hard to find, sounds like you need to hold onto yours! 🙂 My husband loves stinger waffles, but I think they’re just cookies. I prefer a box of Oreos or E.L. Fudge ones for trail running. They don’t come in such convenient packaging as the waffles though.

I did my first 6×1 mi track workout ever and survived! I felt pretty awful all day, but just went out and nailed it anyway. I don’t know how that happened, but I’m definitely not complaining. Feels better than winning the lottery I think 🙂

Hmm….Single serve Oreos for the trails sounds like a pretty good idea – except for the ‘crushed’ factor. I think I’d end up with Oreo crumbs. And out here, I’d have to eat them salted, for an extra dose of electrolytes! 🙂

Whew – 6 x 1 mile on the track takes DETERMINATION. That’s a lotta laps, and I often find that 1,000 meters is about my track max – for 1 miles, I get bored. So that’s double bonus points for you: For physical and mental stamina (and yes, perhaps even better than the lottery)! 🙂

8. Jess

What a good husband! I love getting stuff from the states, after having lived there I miss certain items you just can’t get here. I’m always do hesitant to finish the last of whatever I’ve got though!

I liked this post! Very fun and up beat!

I love honey stingers, but can’t eat them when running as I can’t seem to run and chew solid objects on the go. I tend to stick with just gels. I therefore eat honey stingers at a general snack. 😛

I’ve never actually helped any Kickstarter campaign though there are so many that attract me. How do I decide!!!

P.S. you and your hubby are super sweet!
    P.P.S. I am flying to Singapore later today en-route to Melbourne! Unfortunately not leaving the airport as I was keen to get all the flying done asap, but perhaps on the way back! 🙂

OK, I’ll confess that I’d probably like Honey Stingers about 25% MORE if they were 25% smaller. I do, on occasion, have a slight choking incident…

Honestly, in the past, my Kickstarter experience has USUALLY been with people I know directly, or through another friend. Feasibility is also a consideration (some people have pretty wild ideas), as is the amount of preliminary work they’ve done and the experience of the team. But ultimately, the whole thing is a bit of a gamble, so I suppose it just depends how risk-prone (or averse) you’re feeling that day! 🙂

Well, I’ll wave in the airport’s direction. Happy travels!!!!!!!!!! =)

Definitely sounds like you had a great day! I’m interested in trying honey stinger chews sometime. I’ve only used clif shot bloks before. Today, I feel like I won the lottery because I had a quiet day to relax at an ocean beach house in North Carolina. I had never been to this area before this week, and it’s beautiful!

Ahhhhh……sounds lovely! I’m imagining a hot cup of coffee, and a cozy spot on the couch where I could curl up with a book, and a view of the ocean. I’m not sure if that’s what you have, but I think that my shoulders relaxed one degree just thinking about it… 🙂

I suggest the chews, but of course – every runner has to find what works best for him/her! Happy Recovery! 🙂

11. Alyssa

Ok I’m sorry, I love veggies as much as the next person, but raw cucumber with no dip? I can’t get on board with that.

Yay for the kickstarter success! I’ve never used it. I never thought about how much I take for granted here in the US. If you need a shipment of Stinger Waffles, I’m your girl!

The weather for my 50 miler tomorrow is perfect! I have lucked out on no rain the past two years so I was positive I was due for a crappy day. That is making me feel like I won the lottery! Plus it’s parent teacher conference day and none of my parents scheduled a conference until 9:40 am so I had a nice relaxing morning and home and rolled in to work at 9:20 (it’s usually more like 7:45) and it was amazing.

I love raw cucumbers. Celery requires dip. Cucumbers (especially the super skinny crunch Japanese ones we get here) are made for just plain chomping.

Yeah, because Singapore is a tiny island, we’re pretty much at the mercy of whatever shipments retailers here get (Amazon is becoming more a reality, but not all products can be shipped, and there are limits on what is shipped free/cheap). We’re super spoiled, because we travel to the US regularly (KMN travels more than regularly), so we just stock up on whatever we need when we’re back. In fact, I have a whole pile of workout gear waiting for me to try on when I arrive! 🙂 [It’s available here, but selection is limited and the pricetag is way high.]

A bonus late-start-morning, AND a good race weather prediction (even if it didn’t exactly come true) is a great way to feel like you won the lottery. =)

Hooray for husbands and Honey Stingers!! 🙂 I know what you mean about a clean kitchen- I love the feeling of having a clean kitchen, and a clean house. We are hosting Thanksgiving for the second year in a row (a tradition in the making) so I will be doing a big clean of the entire house this weekend. Lots of work, but I love it when everything is clean! I’m glad your team teaching for spin is coming along and that you’re hitting your groove.

It’s true. I finally mopped the floors yesterday, after about 3 weeks of non-mopping, and I felt so…happy, the whole day. The mess is also a lot harder to ignore when working from home. In some ways, this is good – having a clean apartment helps me stay productive. However, it also means that when things get busy – ignoring the mess only leads to more un-productivity…

13. emma @ a mom runs this town

Hi Holly! Congrats on always looking on the bright side! What a gift- and holy Honey Stingers! Jealous! I wish my gym did a co-teaching so I could ease into teaching spin! Any suggestions?! Besides attend every class in the next few weeks?! My legs are still recovering from my half!

I was so excited when the Honey Stingers…just kept coming! A box, and another box, then some that had been taken out of a box, and some more…. Hopefully those will last us…well, at least for a few months! 🙂

It’s a shame that they don’t do a co-teaching situation. Could you ask one of the instructors if he/she would let you co-teach (not for $, just for experience) for a few classes before you start? Of course, this requires that the instructor and gym be OK with it, and the set up allow another bike in the front…but it could be a really great experience to help you get started. I’m actually zipping you an email now with some more specific thoughts/reflections that I’ve had during my team teaching segment.

But ultimately, you are smart – you know how the body works – you are passionate about fitness – you connect with people — you have all the right elements for a good instructor!