Weekly Workout Round-Up (Oct. 14-20)

I had to look at the calendar – twice – to remind myself that last week was really just the second week after my 50K.  My legs felt…awesome.  I was doing much more cross-training than running, but BodyPump and RPM (indoor cycling) aren’t exactly gentle on the legs.  Here’s what happened:

Monday: RPM

Also, I had too many heavy things to buy at the grocery store (yogurt, milk, juice, hard cider), so I broke out the “Auntie Cart” for a walk:

Holly, listening to ChinesePod, and rockin' the Auntie Cart.  Awesomeness.

Holly, listening to ChinesePod, and rockin’ the Auntie Cart. Awesomeness.

Tuesday: Yin & Roll, BodyAttack/GRIT combo, Yoga on the Bridge,

This was a holiday (Hari Raya Haji) in Singapore, so there were special gym classes.  I started off the morning with “Yin & Roll”, a yoga class with one of my favorite yoga instructors.  We spent 75 minutes rolling sore muscles (mostly in our butts & hips) on tennis balls, then holding extended stretches for those same areas.  This was painful, but good.  I was also reminded of how spoiled I am by my foam roller – wiggling your IT band on a tennis ball requires much more core and arm strength/control than it does on a foam roller!

I took a break to do some computer work for an hour, then headed into an intense cardio/strength/HIIT workout.  This was a special combo class, and super intense – but fun.  In the evening, I joined the Lululemon crew for another night of free Tuesdays by the River Community Yoga.  [There are 2 more weeks left, by the way!  I should be there next week – come join me!]  Yes, there was more staring and maybe a few photos (as I described in last week’s Workout Round-Up), but I was prepared and determined not to be fussed by any of it.  Success.  By the time I rolled home around 9:30, I was ex-haust-ed.

But really, how better to spend a public holiday than tiring out your muscles with excellent workouts all day long?  🙂

Also?  This.  Steamed rice, salmon sashimi, seaweed, sprouts, and black fungus...as inspired by a FB chat with GCA.

Also? This. Steamed rice, salmon sashimi, seaweed, sprouts, and black fungus…as inspired by a FB chat with GCA.

Wednesday: RPM & lots of stretching!

Just like running, spinning can do a number on your quads, hip flexors, and litttttle tiny hip muscles – and the five minutes allotted for leg stretching in class just isn’t quite enough.  I always try to hit the mat for another 10-15 minutes of stretching on my own, whenever possible.  And of course, I’ve tried to keep up with my bedtime rolling routine.

Thursday: RPM & BodyPump

This was my first morning (7:20 AM) RPM class in awhile – and from the stage, I could see that most of the class was definitely still waking up.  In fact, my team-teaching instructor told me that he tries to keep the music a bit more mild for this class, since everyone is still in their morning lull.  I chuckled, thinking of friends in the US who are pumping out intense workouts on their spin bikes at 6 AM…  The gyms here definitely don’t believe in (aka, there’s no demand for) super early morning classes.  So interesting…

The (blurry) detritus of good hydration habits....

The (blurry) detritus of good hydration habits….

I was able to sneak out to the gym again in the evening for some Pump.  I was…pumped! (har, har)

And there was veggie stir fry for dinner!

And there was homemade stir fry for dinner!

Friday: Run (4.1 mi)

My first run of the week – and the one I wrote about in yesterday’s post (I don’t care if my legs tremble during Warrior poses. I need to run.)  Friday was kind-of my rest day for the week.

Saturday: RPM & Run (7 mi)

As a participant in a spin class, I don’t much care what my fellow class members are doing/feeling/giving – I’m there to do my own workout, with the instructor.  However, as an instructor, I’ve quickly realized how different classes have a different “feel” or character.  As I mentioned above, early morning classes are a bit more mellow – but the Saturday afternoon class is considerably more energetic and intense.  This is not a better/worse characterization – just an observation.  And I’m rather amused that I didn’t really notice/care much about this as a participant – but it’s so obvious now that I’m on stage.

KMN procrastinated his long run until Saturday evening – which was, surprisingly, OK for me.  I don’t usually enjoy evening runs, but since this one was purely “for fun” for me – I had no pace goal – I headed out with him around 6:30 PM.  We did one loop of McRitchie Reservoir together, before I headed home and he continued on for another 6 miles in the park (it was too dark for another trail loop without headlamps).  I was excited that my knee felt great, despite the uneven, technical terrain.  He came back, we were both ravenous, and we went out for Indian food for dinner.  Palak paneer, I love you.

Sunday: BodyPump

KMN, GCA, and I all headed in to an afternoon Pump class.  Although the class time is a bit disruptive (3 PM), some afternoon lifting was a great way to end the weekend, and complement the previous day’s cardio.

All in all, I’m happy with the week.  I will be doing quite a lot of RPM in the coming weeks, so I was glad to get in four classes this week.  And although I didn’t do much running, Friday’s jaunt was a good reminder that I need to keep lacing up my sneakers – especially now that 50K recovery is complete.  My goal for the last 8 months has been base building – now that I have the base, I definitely don’t want to lose it!  So definitely look for some more running, starting next week.

The week’s run mileage was just 11.1 miles (although it would be considerably higher if the indoor spin bikes had odometers!), but my Total Workout Time was 12 hours, 2 minutes.

Early morning gym classes: Yay or Nay?

Is “early morning” 6 AM, 7 AM, or 8 AM?

When you have lots of miscellaneous stuff in the fridge, what do you turn it into, and what is your carb of choice?
[Interesting cultural difference: My inclination is to mix it up with some canned diced tomatoes and go “Italian style”, serving over pasta.  But my husband’s first thought is to make a fried rice type dish.]

22 thoughts on “Weekly Workout Round-Up (Oct. 14-20)

1. Hilary

Early morning is 6am. I’ve been in academia for the last 10 days so able to run in the morning, starting in the dark and running through the sun rise. It’s a beautiful way to wake up, starting the day in peaceful contemplation and enjoying the world waking up too. An added bonus was not running into a cactus (I’ve been in Phoenix) and thankfully not seeing the coyote I ran within 6 feet of (my colleague was very impressed with my calmness).

I know what to do about a bear, and what to do about monkeys, but I’m not sure I’d know what to do about a coyote! [Cross my fingers that I didn’t see him, either, I suppose!]

One of the coolest parts of marathon and ultra training was getting out before sunrise, and watching the world wake up. One of the LESS cool parts was bulldozing all the spiderwebs at McRitchie at 5:30 AM! 🙂

I am totally Asian and I go stir-fry all the way. And that stir-fry looks delicious (asia has the best mushrooms hands down). And rice, of course. But yes, David is Italian all the way. Whoever gets to the kitchen first (ie whoever is more hungry) prevails in this house. I love early runs where the suns comes up, but I tend to prefer sunset runs.

I’m a mushroom lover,and you are totally right – there are some awesome ones out here!

KMN: “You know, I’m not sure there’s anywhere else in the world that someone would willingly and enthusiastically eat the contents of a package labeled ‘Black Fungus’.”

Fried rice, generally. The only essential ingredients in fried rice are rice, soy sauce/ fish sauce, and eggs; that jumble of leftover stir-fry can go in, the greens about to wilt in the crisper can go in, the prawns in the freezer, the mystery mincemeat, and yes, even the diced tomatoes.

‘Early’ to me is zero-dark-thirty but you know I’m a morning person! Most of my colleagues are appalled when they hear what time I get up to run on weekends (it is a time that they do not believe exists). Considering how many runners I see at the canal at 6am, I don’t know if there’s no demand for 6am gym classes; I think it’s more of a vicious circle (the people who would go to those classes don’t join the gym because there are no 6am classes, et.c.)

I’d put all of those things (except maybe the egg) into an Italian dish, too! For me, though…it might be the cheese. I have a great excuse for topping anything Italian with cheese (provolone, Parmasean, mozz, etc.) – there’s no “natural” cheese that goes with stir fry!

And you may be correct about the classes…but the 7:20 classes look pretty sleepy! [Although for some people, 7:20 may be too late to get to work. My only gripe with a 6 AM class would be that it would require a taxi. Public transport woes….]

4. Karen@ La Chanson de Ma Vie

My miscellaneous food becomes stir fry about 99% of the time. The carb is often potato or turnip, since we grow those ourselves and always have a lot on hand. I’m sure “real” chefs and cooks would scoff at the condiments I put with them, but it gets the leftovers taken care of.

Early morning is before the sun comes up. If humans were meant to get up before the sun, we would have been born with the ability to see in the dark, right? 😉

You know, sometimes I will bake up a few potatoes, and just throw whatever else is around into the skillet, then dump it over the potatoes, and top with whatever cheese is handy.

Hahahha! So do you go into super-slumber mode in the winter? Here, we live on the equator, so we have very consistent and even days & nights – but back when I lived in Rochester, not going out in the dark would mean staying in from 5 PM until about 7:30-8 AM in Dec/Jan! And those folks in Alaska…hmmm….. =)

I enjoy AM workouts, but can’t make it to the gym in the morning since Ryan heads to work at 6:30AM, and we only have one car. So, I usually will go to the gym in the afternoon or run in the morning if I have time that day. I’ve never gotten into the running before the sun comes up, although I think i would enjoy going to an early gym class. Nice to have the workout done for the day.

Again with the differences between Singapore and the US. I love reading about them all 🙂 Although I’ve never been to a morning gym class (or any gym class ever for that matter), I have read about them on blogs. It looks like in the US you kind of hit the ground running if you sign up for any early morning gym class.

Hmm now a days I would say 6 AM would be “early morning.” Having grown up as a competitive, year-round swimmer I was often jumping into an ice cold pool at 4:30 AM to get in a 1.5-2 hour workout before school started. And I wonder why I burned out on swimming (I don’t wonder, I know why). Back in those days, though, 6AM would have been sleeping in!

Hahaha – your swimming experience is so true for so many, but it’s funny because in high school, we actually swam on rotation, very late – like, the last rotation went until 10:15 PM. For high school kids. So strange.

Oh wow, that is late. I would expect a late practice time like that for a club team, but not high school. My high school team practiced in the afternoon right after school, around 3:30 or so. I would do my club swim practice in the morning, go to school, and then go to HS practice in the afternoon. Too much!

7. Char

I’ve never heard of a Yin & Roll class before. What a great idea, particularly for runners.I could do with one of those every other day.

Hey Char! Thanks for dropping by!

It’s not a formal class name – usually the class is just yin yoga; but this was a special holiday class, where we rolled, then yinned…and cried just a little bit. 🙂

Well, I don’t *think* there’s a demand – although, as someone else suggested, it might be a circular problem – there’s no supply, so I don’t realize the demand is there? Not sure. I also find that the work day starts a smidge later here. For example, Starbucks opens at 6:30 or 7 AM. As far as cities go, that’s pretty late…

8. Alyssa

When I moved to our current apartment four years ago I was SO PISSED that local gyms don’t have early classes! I lived for 6am classes! It worked out in the end, bc it was how I got into running, but still. Early morning for me like 4am. 6am is a normal morning haha. But I love going to bed early so I can’t complain. I love intense, crazy 6am classes with music blasting – it’s the best way to wake up!

I agree – an intense morning class is a great way to get pumped for the day! That’s why I was pretty surprised to see how mellow the 7:20 classes were. Again – I’m not sure if it’s the cause or an effect (If they were more intense, would the folks who enjoy a really intense class start showing up?), but perhaps if I get an early class one day, I can put that to the test. 🙂

Definitely more of a fried rice person! Early gym classes are less preferable to me than evening classes – I am really not a morning person and don’t tend to eat breakfast so I feel pretty sluggish in the mornings.

You’re totally rocking the auntie cart btw. Awesomeness. 🙂

Hahaha. Unfortunately, I had to import mine from the US, with the hope of having one that was tall enough to not give me stooped shoulders. However, IKEA makes a sub-par auntie cart. In the market for a metal-sided, rather than soft-sided, one. 🙂

You are one of the most evening workout folks I know! It’s actually funny for me to read about the times you sleep in for an extra three hours, then go out for a run at 2 PM. Makes me cringe – because I’d SO much rather get up, do my run, THEN come home and go back to bed! 🙂