Order On The Blog! Order On The Blog!

My college roommate recently taught me a fantastic German word: entlistungsfreude.  The word means “the satisfaction achieved by crossing things off lists”.  [Edited to add: This amazing woman, who is a better wordsmith than I, has two kiddos one hundred times more adorable than my (non-existent) ones, and loves the world harder than anyone else I know, has just opened her blog up to the public.  Check her – and her entlistungsfreude post – out at Gummy Bear Mama.]

Needless to say, she and I are both lovers of lists and (even moreso) lovers of crossing things OFF lists.  There’s some psychological effect at work here, I’m sure.  But she was the psych major, not me.  So I won’t delve too deeply at the moment.

I use a list-making app for my iPhone (Wunderlist), and currently have the following lists:

Coaching To Do
Client Communication To Do
Clients: Weekly Surveys
RWH Management
Weekly Workouts
Personal To Do
Home To Do
Health Appointments

A peak at the "Personal To Do" list.  See Erica?  Uploading photos for you is "on my list"...

A peek at the “Personal To Do” list. See Erica? Uploading photos for you is “on my list”…

These lists include both short- and long-term goals.  The time-sensitive ones can be assigned due dates, and the recurring ones can be scheduled to repeat every day/week/month/year.  I love this app hard, and when it’s midnight (like now), and I don’t want to sweep the floor…I still will, just so I can check “Daily Sweep” off the Home To Do list.   Entlistungsfreude at work, folks.

You're dying to know where this is going, right?

You’re dying to know where this is going, right?

What does this have to do with blogging?

Clearly, I operate well in a list-y environment.  So I’ve decided to bring my lists to blog-land.  The grand plan is to assign each day a particular topic/subject, and use that to guide my blogging.  My reasons for the change include:

1. To help me stay up-to-date.  Posts are easier to write and more fun to read (I think) when they are current. I’d rather read about the race a blogger ran yesterday, rather than 2 weeks ago.  [It’s also easier to write about yesterday’s race than a race form two weeks ago, no matter how many disjointed notes and phrases I left myself on the day of the race.]

2. To diversify content.  I don’t want this blog to become purely an accounting of my training and races – and lately, that’s the direction it’s been heading.  Certainly, I want that to be part of my content – but I also want to use this space to share information, tips, advice, thoughts, and musings about running, working out, and training.  I’d also like to throw in a few bits and bites about Singapore, about other places I’ve traveled, about food, and maybe a bit about plain old getting better at life – just to keep things varied and interesting.

So – without further ado – DRUMROLL, PLEASE!

Sunday: Workout Round-Up
Monday:
Inspiration For The Week (hopefully a more thoughtful/thought-provoking post)
Tuesday: Race (or Run) Recaps and/or Coach’s Corner (advice, thoughts, musings, ramblings – mostly on running)
Wednesday: Singapore Stories or another Recurring Feature (Good Mornings, Things I’m Lovin’, etc.)
Thursday: Stretch of the Week (I am SO excited about this one!)
Friday: Foodie Friday (restaurant review, favorite recipe, fun local food, etc.)
Saturday: Where In The World Is…Coach Holly? (travel stories)

Other possible topics that haven’t been assigned a home: Blogging, Sciencey Goodness, Random Photos of Singapore:

Singapore Skyline: Taken a few months back when I was out bright and early one morning to cheer for a 10K.

It’s highly unlikely that I’ll hit every post, every week – the writing just takes too long.  And of course, there will be other things thrown in – for example: amusing life anecdotes, flashes of insight had during downward dog, rants about sweat dripping into my eyes, etc.  And the days won’t correspond directly, since we don’t all live in the same time zone.  But heck, let’s give it a whirl!!

Bloggers: Can you write a post more quickly now than you could when you first started blogging?  What do you do to keep your blogging on track?

Everyone: What else would you like to see in this space?

25 thoughts on “Order On The Blog! Order On The Blog!

Cool! All those topics sound great and I’m totally taking this to mean you’re going to post every. single. day, despite you telling me it doesn’t. Also, that Singapore skyline picture is totally awesome.

I’m not really sure whether I write posts faster now than I did before. I guess it depends on how inspired I am. I DO find that things seem to “flow” more smoothly than they did (maybe that’s called “finding your voice?” Search me).

You are so easy to please. Except for that every-day thing. Don’t hold your breath.

My “voice”…egghh…it’s something all the “good” bloggers say I’m supposed to have (along with “focus”), but I want to talk about so! many! things! And since part of my reason for blogging is to help make me a “real” person to my clients, I want to discuss a variety of things, both about running and not. But, in the end, I think this means that my blog “lacks focus”. Hmmm…perhaps my new focus is…LISTS! That seems like it should encompass pretty much everything…

2. Sarrilly

You are too, too kind! <3 Thanks for the link, roomooms!

LOVE the schedule – although I love reading whatever you write (even if it involves workout language I don't know 🙂 Confession: I used to think IT bands were actual bands…like resistance bands 🙂 See how educational your blog is?) 😀

Hey, now that you’ve “gone public”, I’m happy to share the love – not that my blog is going to redirect thousands of readers your way, but hey – maybe a few! You certainly do have a catchy name! =)

HAHAHA. Glad I could edumacate you about IT bands. I guess that never was part of Billy Blank’s Tae Bo, huh?

So looking forward to the stretches posts! I believe I suggested a hip-stretching post like 6 months ago and you told me it was coming soon, not that I am waiting or anything. Stretching my hips is my absolute favorite thing to do, no doubt.

Guilty as charged. I have so many stretching posts I want to write, and was getting overwhelmed at the thought of putting together a post: “Eight great hip stretches!” [So many pictures, descriptions, etc.] And who was going to take the time to master that many at once, anyway?

That was when I had a flash of insight: One stretch per week! Everyone can try ONE stretch. There will only be a few pictures, not much scrolling required to see the whole thing, and if someone LOVES the stretch, there’s a week to practice before I provide a new one. I’ll be mixing up body parts, but since hips are such a tricky spot for so many people, they will definitely come up a lot. Stay tuned!!!!!

Ha! No problem. My back has been taking a beating lately, too. But I got some wonderful Asian wood boards to stretch it out and they are great. I will be doing a post on them soon. But any easy simple back stretches are great, as well! See- I am just overwhelming you more!

Ooo! That’s a post I’m excited to read – I’ve never heard of these Asian wood boards, to be honest.

Don’t worry, I’ve been carrying my hydration pack a lot lately – back stretches WILL be included! And don’t apologize – I LOVE suggestions. Why do I want to blog about stuff that no one wants to read about?

Well, this one was supposed to be the kick-off post to more stretches (way back in….March) – Stretch Those Calves!

That ended up being the only stretching that I posted (ever); I’m not sure these are “unique”, though – they are the pretty standard ones. Don’t worry, though – I do have a few more calf stretches to share. Do you have a foam roller?

Love this! I’m a big list checker too & try to plan my posts in advance, leaving room for flexibility when sonething unexpected pops up. Aren’t long German words the best? And gummy bears & awesome mama blogging? I’m all over that!

Love all the ideas! (Also, I’m not sure how I don’t already have that list app..but I am getting it RIGHT NOW. I love crossing things off my list. Sometimes I add things I’ve already done, just so I can cross them off…I promise, I’m cool…).

I’ve been thinking about some blog re-direction lately and am still giving it some thought. I love the intention you have put into it!

Not sure if this relates to stretches or more just to general posture/strength, but I get shoulder cramps ALL THE TIME when I run..like deep in my shoulder in-between my clavicle and the top of my shoulder (is that visual enough, I don’t know proper terminology…). Any suggestions?

Did you discover the nice little “WHOOP!” sound it makes when you mark something off? 🙂 Hint: I do all my heavy-duty entering online, rather than on the phone – it’s faster.

I’ve definitely put thought into it, but I suppose I also feel reluctant to commit to anything TOO much. I want it to be mostly running, but other fitness activities too. I want it to be mostly fitness, but I think it’s also important that people know/connect with me personally. And some of my friends and family use it to follow my life, so I also feel like I have to throw some life tidbits their way, too! Ultimately – I hope this provides structure; I’m not *quite* as certain it will provide focus. 🙂

You bring up a solid truth: Shoulders are often ignored by runners – but shouldn’t be. Most runners hold some amount of tension in their shoulders and back (exacerbated by, but not exclusive to, the wearing of a hydration pack). I think there are a few posts here: Mindfulness of shoulders/back while running, AND some shoulder/upper back stretches.

Briefly, I’d suggest trying a periodic (every mile?) “posture reset”: While you’re running, extend your arms high over your head for about 2-3 seconds – then drop them back down, give your arms a shake, remind yourself to relax your shoulders, and continue. This does two things: It momentarily disrupts any weird positioning/muscle tension you may have, and it forces mindfulness. Secondly, when you aren’t running, take the opportunity to stretch that area. This can be as simply as tipping your head to the left (to stretch the right side) – keep head in the same plane (don’t tip forward or back). For added stretch, hold your right arm out about 6-8″ from your body and reach it out/down (same angle as you’re holding it). Finally – consider other triggers: Is it only one side, or both? COuld it be related to hold something (phone, bottle, etc.)? Could it be related to something in every day life (especially likely if it’s one-sided)?

I love lists and sometimes will add something that I just did to my list so that I can cross it off! 🙂

I like the organized plan that you’ve put together for what to write about when (love the stretch of the week idea). I did that, but don’t follow it very closely like I should. I’m some faster at writing my posts than I used to be, but still pretty slow (I think).

I think you should do whatever works for you! And you post quite regularly and on a variety of topics – so why not?

I think I just have to write shorter posts. Then they’ll be faster! (Maybe…)

7. Sheila

You’re supposed to think during downward dog? I always thought I was supposed to take that time to curse might tight hammys. Now I need to rethink this whole yoga thing 😉

For some reason, I first read this comment as “drink during downward dog”, and was like, “Heck NO! That’s a sure recipe for spewing liquid out your nose!” Then, I re-read it, properly. 🙂 I suppose I think to try to distract myself from the burning in my shoulders. I guess that’s not very yogic/zen/”quiet-place” ish, but hey – Who said I was a model yogi? Certainly not me….

I need to (try and) remember that word because I love crossing things off of lists! It’s to the point where if I have a to-do list of the day and I do something that’s not on the list, it gets added just so I can cross it off.

I think your plans for the blog look great! I don’t plan a whole lot of posts, other than my weekly training recap’s. Those don’t take very long, because I usually work on them throughout the week, often filling in the days in real time. My random rambling posts about things that happened during my day usually don’t take long, either. For me, sitting down to write my race reports takes the longest. I really have to sit there and think about what I remember from the race and then I have to try and write it in a coherent and mostly succinct way.

I’m trying to start filling in my weekly recaps more thoroughly as the week goes on. I usually scribble a few quick notes, then may (or may not) remember what they mean when I return later to type them up! 🙂

And as much as I enjoy sharing race reports – and reading other people’s race reports, I do find them daunting to write, for exactly the reasons you describe!

9. Pingback: What’s it like to run in *insert country here*? Cathryn’s on the caper! | Run With Holly