Weekly Workout Round-Up (Aug. 19-25): Pre-Marathon Week

There are some blog-related changes coming up here (namely, more frequent, more varied, and less Holly-centric posts), but first, let’s do some Weekly Workout Rounding-Up.  These are mostly for me, anyway – and apparently you guys like them, too, because they tend to get lots of Comments.  Anyway, how did my workouts look pre-Marathon week?  Let’s hop back to the end of August:

Monday (Aug. 19): Run (1.5 mi)

I met a client for a side-by-side treadmill run.  But she had arrived at the gym early, and was halfway done by the time I joined.  I ran with her until the end of her workout, then we did some stretching together.  By the time that was done, I was hungry and didn’t feel like hopping back on the treadmill.  I called 1.5 miles good for the evening, and rewarded myself by using the escalator instead of the stairs.

What? I'm preparing for a marathon, OK? Every bit of rest counts!! [Kidding.  There's no 'stairs' option in this particular spot.]

What? I’m preparing for a marathon, OK? Every bit of rest counts!! [Kidding. There’s no ‘stairs’ option in this particular spot.]

Tuesday: Run (4.1 mi)

I met another client for an early morning run.  Many of my training plans include once-per-month telephone consults, and I offer my local clients the chance to substitute a run together for a phone call.  This is useful in many ways – and just a little bonus for my locals!  Depending on the pace and distance, I don’t always include these in my training tally, but this was a taper week, so every mile was going in – including these four!

I came home and had these for lunch.  In fact, I had this for lunch almost every day this week:

Homemade nachos, topped with refried beans&corn, cheese, salsa, and a salad.

Homemade nachos: Lay the chips on a plate and top with a refried beans/corn mixture and cheese, then broil for 2 minutes. Garnish with salsa and a salad on top.

Wednesday: Yin Yoga

Carbs!

And since we’re talking food, my breakfasts this week pretty much all looked like this.

I was hoping for some hip stretching; instead, Joyce had a class full of back stretches planned.  I still left feeling relaxed and calm.

Dear Alan: Sorry I skipped your spin class.  But leg resting, and all that jazz.

Thursday: Run (3.9 mi)

I wanted to get my legs moving before boarding my flight to Perth – so I ran 10 min easy/10 min tempo/10 min easy.  This was enough to get everything flowing, but not so much that I exhausted myself.  In the afternoon, I was PERTH-BOUND!!!!

Friday: Walking around Freemantle

Sightseeing report pending.  But we saw dolphins, got shipwrecked, and went to jail.  It was an exciting day.

Saturday: Shake-out run (2.5 mi)

Grace & I couldn’t stop exclaiming, “It’s so COOL!  It’s so NICE!  This weather is AWESOME!!!!!!!”  We ran along the Swan River, which would be part of the course the following day.  Only difference was that we were on the pedestrian path, and on Sunday, the road would be closed for us.  Yippee!!

Sunday: Perth Marathon (26.2 mi)

Here’s the link to my Perth Race Report, Part 1 and Part 2.

Along with the stretching and rolling I did, my weekly workout time was 7 hrs, 15 min (although 3 hrs, 30 min without the marathon!).  This was a smidge light for a pre-race week: I’d planned to drop my mileage to about 50% (20-25 miles) the week before the race, but instead only ran about 12 miles.  [However, if I counted the previous Sunday’s run, which was technically part of the “week before”, then I was at 17 miles.]  Honestly, though, I wasn’t too fussed.  I’d already put in my training, so my goals for the week were to keep moving, but not get too tired or injured.  And I succeeded.

A quick word about pre-marathon food – I trained just fine on my normal diet, so I didn’t plan to change much in the week before.  I think the biggest changes were that I didn’t buy any Pringles the week before the marathon, and did made sure to eat 3 full meals each day (sometimes I just snack through lunch).  Toast was a popular breakfast that week, and nachos were common for lunch.  Dinners were starch + protein + veggies; and since KMN was out of town, they were often thrown together at the last minute.  Like I said – I eat pretty well on a regular basis, and didn’t see any need to change a solid system that worked well during training.

Finally, in the days leading up to a big-effort workout or race, hydration is very important:

Hydration

Look, Mom! I emptied them ALL.

And with that, I’m outta here. Final post-marathon thoughts, post-marathon Workout Round-Up, and a report from last Sunday’s 10K + Stair Climb race all coming soon!

Finish this sentence: “My dream nachos would be topped with ___________________________?”
[See above photo for my answer.]
[Huh? You don’t dream about nachos?  What’s wrong with you?!?]

What are your tips/tricks for staying hydrated?
[This isn’t a problem for me, but I have clients who struggle to drink enough during the day.  I’m always looking for more helpful suggestions to provide to them!]

23 thoughts on “Weekly Workout Round-Up (Aug. 19-25): Pre-Marathon Week

1. Sarrilly

My dream nachos are always topped with jalapenos…mmm

I always had difficulty staying hydrated during pregnancy! What always motivated me was filling up my water bottle with ice (and then water). Ice water ALWAYS tastes good!!! 🙂

(PS – Hi hols!!! your food pix make me drool…)

Mmmm….those are a bit hard to come by out here; but we have LOTS of those small, skinny, SUPER spicy red peppers!!! 🙂

I guess pregnancy is a double-whammy, since you’re supposed to stay hydrated, but you also have a bladder the size of a grain of rice, huh?

Miss you, girlie! Why can’t someone invent a super-fast transporter, so I could zip over to play “Bah!” with J, and snuggle A!!! 🙂

Oooooh, blog changes, sounds exciting!

For me, cheese is by FAR the most important part of nachos. Blue cheese is king. My best friend and I used to make nachos with as many different kinds of cheese as were available, which were so incredibly good (and so incredibly bad for us).

I drink tons of water so I’m afraid I don’t have any tips. I hear flavoring it helps some people. For a long time I had those CamelBaks with straws (http://www.functionality.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/BPA-free-water-bottle.jpg), which made drinking water so fun (or, at least, as fun as drinking water can be) that I did it constantly. The straw is a pain to clean, though, so I ended up ditching it for a regular Nalgene.

Nothing too drastic; just imposing a bit of organization and order around this place. I’ve been a bit of a blog-slacker lately, and that just won’t do! 🙂

Oof. You had me at cheese, lost me at blue cheeses. I don’t eat mold. But just about anything else will do…heck, I’ll even eat that melted, bright orange, liquid cheese product if it’s dumped over nachos. But my first choice is a sharp cheddar, melted and stringy, having just popped out from the broiler!

And straws are a great suggestion. I think people DO drink more out of a straw. I’m adding it to my list now! Thanks. 🙂

Cheese and jalapeños.
    Always walk around with a Camelbak. At least in Boulder, it is not that abnormal-looking.
    In my world, it is flooding outside right now so I am staying up all night following twitter reports and watching college kids playing in flash flood zones. Eek.

Hahaha! That would be super-useful in Singapore, but would garner plenty of weird looks. Hmm….. Although I will say – when I lived in Rochester, I was on the production team for a trail marathon in a nearby State Park. On race day, my duties involved LOTS of “running” around, getting checkpoints and aid stations set up, volunteers trained, counting runners, recording DNFs, etc. – the only way I stayed hydrated on this inevitably hot afternoon in late May (Memorial Day weekend) was to wear a Camelbak. I still ended the day with a screaming headache, but can’t imagine how bad it would have been if not for the Camelbak!

Gosh, I hope everyone stays safe… Thinking about your community! [Stupid kids….grumble grumble….]

Looks like I’m with all the cool kids on the spicy things/ all the cheese atop my nachos.

I have difficulty staying hydrated too – yesterday I was at a conference all day, and lugging my swim gear (fins, pull buoy, paddles, cap, goggles, towel, suit, essential decongestants), laptop, notebooks, bag, and…a mostly-empty waterbottle. Forgot to drink for five hours. FAIL.

Glad to hear we’ll see more of you soon! Hope recovery is going well.

I am a really great eater day in, day out. But for some reason on taper weeks, I eat crappy! Where’s the logic???

The logic (I think) is that we eat better when we have to think about our fueling for our daily workouts. If I fall off my exercise routine for a week, my eating habits also degenerate.

This time, I think that having my husband gone meant that I really had to focus on eating – because I know I tend not to eat sufficiently/regularly when he’s away. [*NOT an eating disorder problem, just a general lost-track-of-time, and too-lazy-to-cook-for-one problem.] Because I knew “taper” and “no KMN” would hit on the same week, I made sure to plan a careful menu, buy things I could prepare easily, etc etc

Oh my. Those nachos look amazing. I love nachos topped with black beans, mushrooms, fresh salsa, cilantro, diced jalepenos, fresh guacamole, a dollop of sour cream, and lots and lots of cheese. This is really making me want nachos for lunch now!! YUM!

Out of sight, out of mind.

In sight, in mind.

Funny thing I noticed when I worked in a lab – if I brought a bigger bottle to work (my 64 oz Nalgene), I drank considerably more during the day than if I brought one of my smaller bottles!

7. Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run.

Dream nachos…hmmm…I would say just top ’em with queso. I’m all about the cheese. I don’t like guac or salsa all that much. Sour cream is OK, but not necessary.

I just drink as much as possible whenever I can. I always chug a huge glass first thing when I wake up in the morning and keep a water bottle at my desk at work to constantly refill. I have certain times throughout my work day that work for me to refill, so I just try to drink it dry by each time I plan to refill.

Hi Courtney, welcome! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

Funny you should suggest chugging a glass first thing. I love water, and always have a bottle with me – but the only time I can’t handle a big long drink is first thing in the morning! I do think having designated fill-up times (goals?) helps – I’ve even heard of people who set their phone alarms with Water Reminders!

Your homemade nachos look yummy 🙂 Can’t wait to hear about your adventure to jail. You know what they say about friends and jail… A good friend will bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying “damn, that was fun.”

My best stay-hydrated tip is to carry a water bottle around everywhere. I sip from it more when it’s close at hand.

I like eating mine with salsa.
    I tend to drink a large number of cups of tea per day – that’s really how I stay hydrated. What I think helps is to keep either a bottle of water or large glass of water on my desk as it reminds me to drink even if I’m not feeling thirsty.

10. Pingback: Weekly Workout Round-Up (Aug. 26 – Sept. 8): Marathon Recovery | Run With Holly