Weekly Workout Round-Up (July 29-Aug. 4)

This was a pretty full workout week, including with a super long run on Friday.  I was coming off a weekend with a 22 mile run, as well.  Hello, intense marathon/ultra training!

Monday (July 29): Rest.

I am always tempted to get the week off to a strong start, but between heavier weekend training and a pretty busy schedule on Mondays, I’m often taking a rest day instead.  But I did manage to do some stretching and rolling, which was much appreciated by my tired legs!

Tuesday: Run (4 mi) & Spin

Oh, Tuesday.  So full of happy running enthusiasm!

Oh, Tuesday. So full of happy running enthusiasm!

Obviously there wasn’t much notable about Tuesday’s workouts.  BUT Tuesday’s dinner was pretty tasty.  I tried my hand at making baked calzones:

2 Tuesday Calzones

Fresh breadmaker bread + This stuff —>

Deliciousness.

= DELICIOUSNESS.

Best of all? We managed to devour them before the ambient humidity took all the crunch out of the crusty top of the bread!

Wednesday: Tempo Run (5.4 mi) & Spin

I had this Tempo workout on my schedule:

10-15 min EZ
20 min @ Tempo
10-15 min E

On this particular morning, KMN and I did what we call “running together-apart”: We ran our warm-up to the park together, then ran separately around/through the park for our tempo work (since we run different paces/workouts), then ran home together as a cool-down.

After the trouble I had with 2 x 10 min @ Tempo the previous week, I was a bit worried about getting this workout done.  But starting early, choosing a known course, and having KMN out with me helped tremendously – and I finished right on target!  Definitely a mental boost, for me!

Thursday: Body Pump

Post BodyPump stretch session: Knees are getting so low!  Three cheers for hip flexibility!!

Post BodyPump stretch session: Knees are getting so low! Three cheers for hip flexibility!!

I’ve been trying to normalize my work schedule a bit, and sometimes this means skipping morning or early evening gym classes.  On this day, I substituted a lunchtime BodyPump class at the gym closest to our apartment.  I usually avoid this spot because it is SUPER crowded, but at lunchtime on a weekday, I was actually able to get a spot in class – and still have space to move.  Although, I did almost get knocked out at the end of class by aunties rushing in to claim “their” spots for the next class!

KMN was out for a work event, so I made myself roasted veggie salad with balsamic vinaigrette, with a side (topper?) of freshly breaded/lightly fried chicken breast.

KMN was out all evening for a work event, so I made myself roasted veggie salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and a side (topper?) of freshly breaded/lightly fried chicken breast.

Friday: Long Run (27 mi) & Swim

This run will definitely get its own post, but in short – I am training for a marathon at the end of August and a 50K at the beginning of October.  I wanted to do at least two 26-28 mile runs as part of my 50K prep.  However, fitting both of those runs between marathon recovery (1-2 weeks, even if I take the marathon easy) and ultra marathon taper (2 weeks) didn’t leave that much time for TWO long training runs.  So I decided to do one in August, before the marathon.   [Remember this is a post from a few weeks ago – this run took place back on Aug. 2, making it 3+ weeks before my marathon.]

In short, this run was easier than expected, and in a flash, I saw all my other (shorter) runs with a different perspective.  Also, swimming after a long run is a BRILLIANT idea.  No, seriously: Brilliant.  You’ll have to stop back later for all the gory details, though. 🙂

Saturday: Run (3.4 mi) & Yin Yoga

I knew it was important to keep my legs moving, to flush any waste leftover from Friday’s long run – so when KMN went out for a run on Saturday, I joined him.  Of course, he made an entire loop around the reservoir (and then some) – I hopped off the trail and came home, for just a short, easy effort.  My legs felt shockingly good.

In the afternoon, I attended a Yin Yoga class, knowing that the extended stretching would be great for my legs.  Unfortunately, I made one crucial mistake: I forgot that the Saturday class isn’t taught by my “normal” instructor, who has apparently spoiled me.  I appreciate the way she presents yin, and talks us slowly and carefully through each pose, providing lots of options and suggestions.  For some reason, the Saturday instructor and I just don’t mesh as well.  So the stretching was good, but I didn’t exactly leave with a “zen” feeling…

BUT this Brownie a la Mode and I meshed VERY well for a Saturday evening treat at Neli's!

BUT this Brownie a la Mode and I meshed VERY well for a Saturday evening treat at NeLi’s!

Sunday: Run (5.2 mi)

Sunday night, "less-than-enthused" face.  There's a reason I usually run in the morning, folks!

Sunday night, “less-than-enthused” face. There’s a reason I usually run in the morning, folks!

As my marathon training has progressed, I’ve grown bored with all my normal routes.  Furthermore, I procrastinated this run until Sunday evening.  Dark + Bored = I chose a one mile loop near our apartment….and ran around it 5 times.  While this might earn me some odd looks from the folks at the bus stops, at least it doesn’t require much mental energy!  Chunking is easy: 1 loop at a time.  Plus, I can perform “track workout” style bribe myself: “Just one more” (and then another, and another, and another).  And somehow, it’s psychologically easier for me to be closer to home, even if I have to pass and re-pass my starting point repeatedly.

I finished with a little loop in the residential area behind our apartment.  While back there, a taxi driver slowed down and asked me for directions – a first for me, in Singapore!  [He was either really desperate, or knew that runners are good people to ask for directions.]  This amused me for the last half mile of my run.  It’s the little things!

And that was my week, in workouts and notable food.  Thanks to my super long run on Friday, my total workout time for the week came to 14 hours (exactly). Somehow, that number isn’t so hard to hit with a long run over 4 hours long!

What’s your favorite calzone filling?

Have you ever heard of “Emmental” cheese?
[This is called “Swiss cheese” in the US.  I went shopping for Swiss, couldn’t find any, thought Emmental looked about the same (color, holey-ness), and gambled that it was the right stuff for my roasted potato salad.  Subsequent research indicates that I was correct.]

And now, I’m headed out for yet ANOTHER Sunday evening run.  What is it with procrastinated Sunday runs???  Anyone else?

33 thoughts on “Weekly Workout Round-Up (July 29-Aug. 4)

Oh my, those calzones look amazing. I need to learn how to make them. Really, any filling that involves cheese is a good one. Oh and in the absence of a grill, roasted vegetables are one of my favourite lazy dinners; noodle soup is another. There isn’t really a ‘quick and simple dinner’ in Chinese cooking…rice, steamed veg and an egg I suppose.

I’m hopeless at running at night or at the end of a long and tiring day…can’t do it unless someone is running with me!

Why don’t you use the marathon as a 26.2 mile training run for the ultra? It’s supported and you don’t need to carry much.

OK. Post-Perth (and London, I guess), you and Jimmy are coming over for calzones or quinoa, or both (although that’s a weird combo), and Settlers.

Yeah, I suppose Perth is a training run, too. It is, after all, the reason I said, “31 miles? SURE! If I can do 26, of course I can do 31!” So maybe I’ll have 3 long training runs. 🙂

2. Shoe

OMG those calzones! The roasted veggies look amazing as well. I’ll eat anything with a ton of mushrooms/ eggplant/ zucchini/ whatever vegetable in it, so that looks just my speed.

The Tuesday and Sunday faces are hilarious… I’ve been meaning to ask. What is the meaning of a tempo run? (Sorry, very suaku.)

I think that was mushrooms, peppers, and onions – a mixture I saute on a weekly basis, for inclusion in “everything” (omelets, over rice, in tortillas, with beans, on meat, etc…). Amusingly, eggplant is one of the very, very few things my husband doesn’t really like – so when I get an eggplant parmesan craving, I’ll invite you over, and we’ll enjoy some together. 🙂

The bulk of a runner’s training is done at an “Easy” pace – where (once you are trained) your muscles and lungs can handle running smoothly and easily for a long time. A smaller amount of running – which is more stressful to the body and takes longer to recovery from – is done at faster paces. One of those is “Tempo” pace, which is the first notch above “Easy”. The goal of a tempo run is to be able to run for awhile (10-30 minutes, maybe longer) at a faster pace than “Easy”, which helps your body learn how to operate efficiently at faster paces, and remove the waste-products of exercise from your muscles. Some people describe tempo pace as “comfortably hard” – I think it’s closer to “uncomfortably hard”, but whatever. 🙂

To put this in perspective, the next step faster would be Intervals or Sprints, which are run even faster, but for an even shorter distance – this is what you usually see people doing on a track, for example. The goal of these workouts is to teach your muscles to operate efficiently even without my oxygen.

Hope that’s clear; ask again if it’s not! 🙂

3. JoAnne

Wow! You do a lot in a week. I’m feeling lazy now.
    I am definitely with you on procrastinating Sunday runs. I’m out the door before 6 every other day, but today (Sunday) I didn’t get out until 9. It might have something to do with the rain today, but even when it’s not raining, I tend to procrastinate on Sundays.

Hahaha – to each her own. You happen to have tuned in during a peak week. And I’m lucky right now to have some flexible time, so I can cross-train more than usual.

Maybe it’s our way of being rebellious: I’ll be disciplined every other day, but I need one day to be FREE. But…if that’s the best rebellion we can muster….we need some help! 🙂

That calzone looks delicious! I am glad your tempo run went so well. Good job! Here’s a little something to make you laugh (pertaining to your brownie): When I was a kid, I didn’t get the expression “A la mode.” Instead I would tell my parents I wanted my apple pie “on the commode.” We often refer to the toilet as the commode, so apparently I thought this word had two different meanings.

I did my Sunday run this morning, but it was only because I was meeting up with my running buddy. If it hadn’t been for her I probably still wouldn’t have gone for my run yet (it’s 2:30 PM currently).

Hahaha! I prefer mine at the kitchen table, but, you know, whatever. 😉

But you are often a later-in-the-day runner, right? So maybe the way I feel about my evening miles is how you’d feel if someone forced you to do all your runs in the morning!

5. Hilary

Emmental is one Swiss cheese and agree its very nice. My experience in the US supermarket was slightly different to yours – I couldn’t understand why no-one else seemed to see the irony in offering “French Swiss cheese”! Now I know Swiss=Emmental it makes more sense. I suppose.

I’ll admit that my eyes glazed a bit when the article started talking about what could be called “Swiss”, or “Emmental”, or “Emmental Switzerland”, depending on where it was made, etc. But I believe that “Emmental” or “Swiss” can be made elsewhere (?), but “Emmental Switzerland” must be made in Switzerland. I guess it’s sorta like “champagne”?

So you always knew it as Emmental? What other kinds of Swiss cheese are there? [As I’m sure you discovered, the US basically clumps it all as “Swiss cheese”.]

I’m procrastinating, but it’s only 12:00 p.m. here ;). Also, I can run at any time of the day because it’s not 6 million degrees!

I’ve heard of Emmental, but I didn’t realize it was the same thing as Swiss. Thanks for the new knowledge!

I’ve probably only had one or two calzones in my life. They’re like pizza, right (I feel like that’s an ignorant enough statement that people from places that specialize in calzones-Pennsylvania, maybe?-would be all over me for that statement)? I love all kinds of meat and all kinds of cheeses on my pizza. I’m pretty ambivalent towards vegetables.

Hahaha. I believe that the heart of pizza (and perhaps other pizza-like products) is New York City, and radiates out from there. As a New Jersey native, I’m quite particular about my pizza (just ask my husband) and am, more likely than not, going to declare “Well, this is OK, but it’s not REAL pizza!”

I think this article describes it best: http://gawker.com/the-pizza-belt-the-most-important-pizza-theory-youll-743629037

I believe a traditional calzone is veggies and/or meat (like, the pizza toppings) and cheese (ricotta, mozzarella, and maybe parmesan or another hard Italian cheese). Usually, there is LOTS of cheese. In my experience, the red sauce is NOT included – but rather used for dipping. Also, a calzone is sometimes/often fried, rather than (or in addition to?) baked.

LOL @ Sunday run face. I’m pretty bad – if I procrastinate Long Runs, it probably means I won’t make it. Too many excuses get in the way if I don’t get them in in the morning.

I’ve only ever called it Emmental! Good to know it’s called Swiss cheese in the US. 🙂

Hmm, not a huge fan of calzones, but if I had to choose, something meaty!

Jules, your running schedule would make me anxious all the time – you always do your runs at night, at least during the week!

And honestly…Italian food doesn’t have the same “home food” feeling for you, as it does for me. I’m not a huge calzone eater, but good bread and cheese and red sauce are pretty American, and pretty comforting (to me) – but not that Asian. 🙂

I love your “run together,-apart” that you and KMN do! Bill and I do that occasionally when we want to work on speed. For our long runs, we usually stay together.

I had never had a calzone until about two years ago. Can you believer that? So both times I’ve had them, I got chicken.

That brownie a la mode looks delicious! Yum!

From the comments here, it sounds like lots of people haven’t had calzones at all/much. Growing up and living in proximity to NYC has definitely deluded me into thinking that EVERYONE has calzones readily available at the local pizzeria…it has also made me a bit of a pizza/Italian food snob. Truthfully, though, I don’t usually order calzones at a restaurant – there’s often too much cheese for my liking, and sometimes they are fried instead of/in addition to being baked. But in my own kitchen, I get to make the rules! 🙂

We usually fill our calzones with cream cheese (or like laughing cow cheese), pepperonis, mushrooms, bell peppers and onions..and obviously pizza sauce.

I totally waited until Sunday afternoon to do my run this week, too. oops!! In my defense, it was raining this morning and then I was “busy” watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix all day. Priorities!

That brownie looks delicious!!! =).

Iiiinteresting – you put the pizza sauce inside? I always used the sauce for dipping! Cream cheese – interesting. I know ricotta is pretty traditional, but not my favorite. Cream cheese is an interesting (albeit expensive, out here) thought.

Um, thanks, I am now about to go and make both calzones and brownies. Right now!
    I am jealous of all your short runs. My goal this week was to ore evenly spread out my runs so I did not have a mix of long and short distances in there, but rather several medium distances. Not sure how I feel about it. And I love doing loops/laps around the same place. Sure, it does not always work out well, but it is easy and mindless-the way running should be!

Interestingly, I’ve spent most of my training cycle trying to do some medium distances (6-10), instead of mostly short and long. But although I have no trouble getting motivated for my really long runs, doing anything more than about 7 miles for a mid-week run has been feeling hard. Not in the execution, just in the motivation (time, sweatiness, etc.). Not sure why. Going to work on this post-marathon. Sounds like we need to average ourselves out!

Ha! We can work on even-ing each other out. I like it!
        Also, you need to be on twitter so I can tweet you a picture right now of the pizza crust dough I have rising as I head to the gym (for a glorious 5 mile treadmill run! who am I?). When I return from sweaty treadmill boredom land, I plan on making said crust into calzones. Thank you!

Twitter is on the agenda. Possible during “taper-crazies”, if not then when I return from Australia.

Well, when you run on those glorious mountain trails all the time, sometimes you have to switch things up a bit :). Nothing wrong with a treadmill run here and there. 🙂 Hope the calzones were delicious!

11. greengirlrunning

Aaahh cross training. You are so good! I kept it up until my 3rd 50+ mile week and then totally fell off the cross training wagon. But after reading this post I’m inspired to get back to it after SR marathon!

Those calzones look yum-mazing! I’d have to just eat the filling, but I’d be happy 😉

Funny, I was toying with the idea of a 50k in October, but I think I’m going to hold off until 2014. Super excited to hear how yours goes though!

I’m good when I’m home. Wait until you see the recap from London – then it’s just “get the runs done”. And the spinning is my “speedwork” for this training session, since I’m keeping myself off the track. 🙂 But I will say – the BodyPump and strength work has made SUCH a difference in how I feel during and after long runs – the rest of my body just doesn’t get as tired, which keeps my form better, and since “only” my legs are trashed, I have an easier time functioning as a ‘normal’ human being for the rest of the day.

I’ve been hearing some buzz this week about Pillsbury’s gluten free pizza stuff. Not sure it passes your paleo-style eating, though. Hmm…perhaps we could nestle it into a partially dug-out eggplant? I threw the leftovers over scrambled eggs the next day – that was pretty tasty, too. 🙂

And holding off on the 50K was probably smart for you – you are gunning for a BQ, so the marathon is going to take a lot out of you. I’m using the marathon more as part of my training than as an ‘A’ race.

12. Jess

I want that dessert! What a crazy week! That calzone sounds amazing too!!! Good on you for staying so active, bet you sleep well at night! 🙂

13. Sheila

I have a love-hate relationship with evening running. It’s about the only time I can squeeze it in on many days, but they are always so hard and feel like 100X’s the effort than when I run in the morning to get the same result. Boo!

I just have to say I am impressed that you go in the evening after procrastinating. Not sure I would be able to motivate. Or I’d be bitter!

Mmmm…calzones. Love them and yet can’t tell you the last time I had one. Yours looks tasty!!

I think that is the right move on the long run–squeezing it into the weeks between the two races could be dicey.

Meh…my choice to procrastinate, my consequence to suck it up! [And in truth, we were actually redoing our study on Sunday morning – so at least I had a nice work place to come back to! :)]

Thanks. I’m making up this marathon/50K training as I go, so good to hear support from another experienced runner/coach. I figure the marathon is actually another long run, and if I’m feeling good, I’ll throw another one in mid-September. Thankfully, I seem to be recovering remarkably well from my long runs, so I’m hoping that the marathon is similar – especially since I don’t plan on killing the pace. But – we’ll see!

15. Silas

I had always seen it as Emmenthaler, but knew it was basically Swiss cheese. I learned about it through our fondue proclivities, though, since it’s one of the main ingredients in a traditional fondue.

Well, wouldn’t you know (obviously, you did – I didn’t) – additional research looks like Emmental is sometimes called Emmenthaler/Emmentaler. Silas, you are a wealth of random factoids. Who knew fondue was so educational (as if being DELICIOUS isn’t enough)?!?

16. Allison

Calzones in Singapore! Those look yummy!

I love running the same spot over and over again. I get to count down the laps. I always tell myself, 5 more times around this exact spot, 4 more times around this exact spot, 3 more…. You get the idea. I trained for a marathon running a one mile strip time and time again. My longest training run was done 1 Mir strip, stop sign to stop sign.

If you come to my kitchen, yes indeed! 🙂

Allison, I actually think of you when I do this loop, and how amazed/impressed I was when I learned that you trained for a marathon running a 1 mile loop. I even share this fact (in an “I know someone who” kind of way) with some of my runners, as an example of how every runner copes with running challenges a bit differently – some by keeping the route steady and reliable (and short!), even for 20 miles. In Rochester, there used to be a race called “Mind the Ducks” – a 12 hour ultra marathon, where participants ran as many 1 mile loops around a pond as possible. Sounds like that would’ve been right up your alley! 🙂