RWH Does Facebook (!!!), and Playing Post-Vacation Catch-Up

BodyPump paid off: I held two bouquets for 20 minutes without a single quiver of weakness.

Can we all just stop for a second and acknowledge how freakin’ hard it is to keep up in the blog world?  I fell behind while doing really important things, like saving the world and being a Matron of Honor.  OK, maybe it was just the latter, but there was a lot of responsibility!  Flowers! Table decorations! Margarita mix! I was a busy girl!!

[Side note: I adore my husband and really want to be married to him, but I do sorta wish I could still be a Maid of Honor.  Matron sounds so…frumpy.  Anyone else? Anyone?]

Anyway, while I was doing wedding things, and running twenty miles, and visiting friends in the Northeast, you were all equally busy (or busier):

Jeano was running a marathon,
Miss Zippy was killing her MAF training,
Jules was getting her brandy new road bike tripped out and cycling 100 km,
Meagan (Turkey Runner), Kristin (Defy Your Limitations), and Brennan (Yum Run) are all starting their training for various Fall marathons, and
SUAR decided to do an Ironman!  (Ironwoman?).

Ya’ll are awesome, and that’s all there is to it.  Becoming woven into this blogging community has been one of the largely unexpected outcomes of starting my own blog (ironically, it wasn’t one of my primary motivations at the start) – and you all support, motivate, and inspire ME, even though we’ve never met!  [Except Allee, of course.  I just met her a few days ago.  And she’s awesome.  Totally not an ax murderer…]

But, it’s time to start doing things a smidge bigger, and better.  And so, hot off the press and fresh from vacation, I present to you all:

Have I mentioned how excited I am about this?  It took me awhile, but The Time Is Now.  Why?  Lots of reasons, but mostly because I want to build community.  And I’d like you to be a part of it, if you’re so inclined.

Someone recently suggested to me that running is “just a fad”.  But I think this person is wrong – and here’s why: When people lock into a community with a shared goal or interest, they feed off each other.  They help each other, encourage each other, and give each other wake-up calls at 5 AM.  They meet for after-work intervals, travel to marathons together, and have holiday parties.  The community and the running become intertwined.  And that kind of community has staying power beyond any fad I’ve ever seen.

[If you doubt me, ask Deb. It’s obvious from so many of her posts that she has a fantastic running community/family!]

So maybe we can’t all go running together, and have big group breakfasts, and take turns watching each other’s kids so we can all race sometimes – but heck, in the 21st century, we can still be a community.  Why not?

Folks in Singapore, this goes double – nay, quadruple – for you.  Those of you who ‘found’ me after the Pocari Swear run, and others who’ve wandered over from the sgrunners.com forum, this page will keep you up-to-date on all Run With Holly happenings – including cheer squads.  The Singapore race calendar is a bit slow in July, but stay tuned, and check back often.  Because we’re gonna change the way the sidelines of running events out here look (and sound)!  I don’t know about you all, but personally – I can’t wait.

So go check it out: Run With Holly on Facebook!!!

Fellow bloggers: What’s new with you that I’ve missed (or forgotten to mention)?

Runners in Singapore: Any races in particular you’d like to cheer at (or be cheered FOR at)?

Anyone else out there get so excited by new happenings that they forget to eat?
[*raises hand*  Off now to procure some dinner.  Adios!]

18 thoughts on “RWH Does Facebook (!!!), and Playing Post-Vacation Catch-Up

1. misszippy1

I’m off to like it right after this! I love the new blog header, btw. It IS hard to keep up, there is no question. I don’t think any of us ever feel like we are doing a good enough job at it. My philosophy is that as soon as it feels like a job, or like an obligation, rather than joy, then I’m closing up shop!

Totally agree on matron–time for that term to go away!

Thanks much for the shout out!

Well, it’s taking some finagling, but I’m working on getting the header on the blog. For now, it’s debuting on Facebook!

So true on the “fun” part…

I was “Matron” of Honor in my college roommate’s wedding and yes, I felt like an old lady. It’s not a very flattering title whatsoever! I was also pregnant at that time so it was a hot combo.

Blogging is seriously like a full time job sometimes and whenever I fall behind, I get so overwhelmed trying to play catch up! Love the FB page, I’ll go ahead and “like” it now, sister!

Truth be told, her wedding party consisted of me, and one of her best friends from high school (who happened to be a guy). Since “bridesmaids” was out, and “bridesmen” only applied to one of us, and “bridal party” still sounded girly, we settled on “The Party” – as in “The Party is in the house!” OK, at the very least, WE thought it was awesome. 😉

3. Shoe

Hello! I have a question. If I suck at running, and I mean REALLY suck, like cannot get 200m without chest tightness suck, is there any chance I will ever be able to do it?

In other news, I feel you on the matron on honour title too! When I was one, my best friend decided to call it special wedding assistant as a joke instead 😛

Unequivocally: YES.

1. You’re probably going too fast (no matter how slow you FEEL like you’re going); and
      2. I start my not-yet-runners with mostly walking, with TINY bits of running mixed in – this makes the whole endeavor feel VERY achievable, keeps your lungs happy, and gradually increases your aerobic capacity. Plus, you’ll still get in a 40-45 minute workout, most days!

Special Wedding Assistant. Not too bad. The brides-man (her other attendant was a guy) and I decided we preferred to be referred to as “The Party”. 🙂

4. Debbie @ DebRuns

Thanks for the shout out! With running friends like mine, I wish I could hang out with them every day! 🙂

Congrats on getting your Run With Holly Facebook page up and “running!” You’ve got a new “LIKE” from Deb Runs!

Thanks for the link Holly! Cool, exciting news about the FB page. Im not a big user of FB currently, but your idea sounds brilliant. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do more of myself – that is, get into my local (and international, hey!) running community.

Forget to eat? Dude, that’s just craziness… 😛 [true Malaysian – tend to spend most of day / life eating if I can…]

So what you’re saying is…Malaysians are basically Singaporeans, in that regard? 🙂 [Well, and lots of other regards, I suppose, if we’re being historically accurate here…]

I’d strongly encourage you to find some local running community. I know most of your workouts are forced late into the evening during the week – but some running friends might help you get out for earlier weekend workouts sometimes! 🙂

I’ve been debating adding a Facebook page. I like it as another way to build the community, but I’m not sure how good I would be at it. Maybe I’ll just stick with the blog for a little longer first. I’d like to get a domain name soon possibly. 🙂

Thanks for the shout out by the way. I love keeping tabs on other people. So exciting to see what everyone is up to!

Ultimately, I think it depends what your goals (for blogging, for page, etc.) are. If I were blogging solely for fun and accountability and to get to know some cool and interesting people – I’d probably skip FB altogether. But as a business move, and a way to connect with people (especially in Singapore), it’s a good, safer way for me to share, without inviting everyone and their Mom to my own personal page. But honestly, where social media is concerned – there’s no right/wrong – but everyone has to make a personal decision about how/what/when/where.

Aha, forget to eat? Me? Never. And, of course, I always eat extra just in case. I’m so healthy.

Thanks for the shout-out (let’s hope no one clicks that link expecting marathon wonders only to find that I’m currently a semi-gimp!), and congrats on the new FB page!

Well, next time I get busy/distract, I’ll task you to handle lunch for me. Deal? 😉

You know what? Life is life. All runners have had their AWESOME MARATHON days, and their gimp days. But I think I actually linked to your race report, so you’re safe. This time! 😉

Thanks for mentioning me 🙂 I sometimes have a busy few days at work and don’t keep up with blogs and all of a sudden there’s like 20 new posts to read! So much going on, haha.

I totally agree with you about running not being a “fad” for all of the reasons you listed. I “liked” your Facebook page!

Hey, no problem – anyone marathon training deserves an extra shout-out, in my book. 🙂

Thanks for the welcome…good to have you there! Community ROCKS.

Oh my gosh, I totally agree. I feel like I missed SO MUCH!! Amy @ Writing While Running’s dog lost a limb! That was the most unexpected news for me.

I am SLOWWWWLLLYYY making it through all the posts. (Just finished on yours 😉 ha).

I have been meaning to make a FB and Twitter account for so long. You are so far ahead of me. Maayyybbee I’ll get around to it this weekend. Probably not, though.

But you know what? Most important to enjoy life; blogging comes after that (especially if blogging is really just a fun source of community connections for you). But good dedication in catching back up on so many posts! I did so well for about 3/4 of the back posts I was catching up on…then I accidentally cleared my reader, and called everything else a wash – just too tricky to go sorting out what I did and didn’t read, from the many many ‘cleared’ posts category!