Back (to ‘Where-My-Bed-Is’) Home!

What a difference a day makes:  At 1 PM Eastern Standard Time, KMN and I were unloading our bags from my Mom’s car at the curb at Newark Airport.  Twenty-five hours later, we were in the Taxi queue at Changi Airport (Singapore).  Add in a twelve-hour time difference, an hour of decompressing when we got home, and some screwed up internal clocks – and you’ll realize why we might both be looking a wee bit tired for the next few days.  I’ll ‘fess up: It’s not even lunchtime, and I’m already considering a nap.  And I really dislike napping.

These guys were super thrilled to be reunited.  [Rhino had joined us in the States, while Ellie & PB held guarded the apartment in Singapore.]

These guys were super thrilled to be reunited. [Rhino had joined us in the States, while Ellie & PB guarded the apartment in Singapore.]

We’re somewhat unpacked, and are in the process of tackling the post-vacation laundry/mail/cleaning monsters – and getting back into the work groove.  But for now, though, I’m taking a little time to catch up on blog-land. I’ve been reading and commenting sporadically, but now I’m systematically working my through the past 2 weeks of each of your lives.  So expect some comments on your practically-archived posts in the near future.  😉

I’m also taking some time to re-hydrate.  Those who have been around for awhile know that I’m just a *tad* passionate about hydration.  And while there’s debate in the running community about how much hydration runners need, I’m going to be far less controversial today and stick with this: Long-haul flights WILL dehydrate you.  For starters, the air is very, very dry.  Secondly, you’re basically at the mercy of the flight crew for beverages (and some airports *cough*Hong Kong*cough* don’t allow you to enter the plane with any liquids – even those you bought or filled AFTER security).  I bring my 32 oz Nalgene (where permitted), but even that is inadequate for a 15 hour flight.  Third, you’re being fed super-processed, super-salty airline food.  And finally…most people generally try to avoid using an airplane bathroom (although my experience is that they’re generally pretty clean), and desire NOT to scramble over their seatmates every two hours – so they hold off on drinking.  Taken together, this is a recipe for dehydration.

I do what I can: I start my trip well-hydrated, bring what water I can on the plane, get an Aisle seat when I can, accept a drink every time the drink cart comes through, and start hydrating as soon as I’m back on the ground.  The shorter the flight, the easier this is – although most of my >10 hour flights lately have been pretty good, too.  But I missed the mark yesterday.  So when I awoke this morning, instead of being ravenous (as I should have been), all I was craving was fluid.  In fact, when I popped over to the market to buy milk, I came home with this for breakfast:

Sensing a theme here?

Remember, you can eat your hydration, too!

My Mom often quotes a classic book title to me, when I’m bemoaning something I want to do/eat that seems somewhat abnormal/less-than-ideal to me: “Trees call for what they need.”  She was (as she often is!) correct.  After this pre-breakfast (and a few more glasses of water), I felt much better.  Thank you, watermelon!

There’s plenty to come in blog-land this week, including a few wedding photos, workout round-ups, more gushing over Rochester and Sussex County, stretching, racing, and more!  But first…about that nap….

How do you stay hydrated on long-haul flights?

What’s your least favorite return-from-vacation chore?

What is making your Wednesday happy?

23 thoughts on “Back (to ‘Where-My-Bed-Is’) Home!

1. Kim

In a slightly unrelated note, I firmly believe you should have extended yor stay in NJ to mid-August. There would have been a strong possibility of us running (or in my case absentmindedly strolling) into eachother!

OOOOH. I wish. Unfortunately, work – and this year, some tax issues – limit my time in the US. But have patience – we’ll make something happen, one day! 🙂

2. Amy @ Writing While Running

I’m with you and I always make sure I get myself an aisle seat on those long flights because I am drinking (and peeing! and stretching) at least once an hour. That usually does the trick for me. Have I mentioned that 3 days after my first marathon ever (that I ran in terrible shoes and had majorly sore legs), I got on one of those super long Beijing-JFK flights? It was awesome (not). I was literally up stretching my sore legs half the flight. It was before I knew about the beauty of compression socks, too.

Oh, my goodness, Amy – that is a simultaneously hilarious and awful story! Glad you survived, and are now a wiser runner. 🙂 I’m contemplating some flying in close proximity to a marathon in a few months; but hopefully, it’ll be about 6 hours, not 14!

3. Meg

I bring a nalgene and also get an aisle seat. I’ve been known to hang out in the back of the plane and steal cups of water when no one is looking 🙂 Or to stand near the beverage cart, cup in hand, if that’s how the airline rolls.

In Seoul (SIN->ICH->SFO), I bought water in the terminal, only to find I couldn’t bring it on the plane. I proceeded to chug the whole bottle (much needed) before getting on the plane.

I’ve done that move in Hong Kong – before I knew they make you get rid of the water at a surprise second baggage check at the end of the jet bridge. Sneaky! And soooo annoying – especially when I’m heading HKG –> United States. HKG –> Singapore isn’t so bad, since it’s short.

And I find it awesome that you stalk the beverage cart.

Ah! I also will ask for juice or soda instead of water IF the attendants are giving out the whole can, rather than just a cup. Twice as much fluid!! 🙂

Hello, welcome back!
    I tend to buy an overpriced bottle of water at the airport to take with me on flight. Amy’s comment above reminded me that I flew from London to Malaysia the following morn after my first marathon. Ah the wonders of compression tights. One of the few times I’m thankful to be short….ability to stretch legs out in airplane seat area without standing!
    I hate unpacking luggage!

Hahaha! I never thought about it much, but I suppose you’re right- being short pays off when you fly. [As long as you can reach to get your luggage in the overhead bin!] 🙂

Could you walk when you arrived in Malaysia? 😉

Eh, flight attendants will refill your water bottle – they have always been kind enough to do it for me. Cuts down on the little plastic cups, too. I also chug tomato juice on flights that offer it – I think the sodium helps.

I hate…cleaning the house after getting back from a long trip. But I also hate cleaning the house in general, so, uh. yeah.

I used to ask for a refill, when I would bring a smaller bottle on my cross-US flights. But I feel a bit bad asking them to refill my 32 oz Nalgene. That’s, like, the entirety of their bottle! 🙂

Ugh. Tomato juice is one thing I can’t stomach, flying or not. And airline food has more than enough sodium for me…

Oh man after all that travel time and the time change itself I wouldn’t even know what day it was! I get messed up going from the east coast to the west coast in the U.S. 🙂

I’ve been enjoying all of your comments as you work your way through the past 2 weeks of my blog, haha. Especially while I’m at work.

I tend to dehydrate myself on purpose when I travel because I hate using the airplane bathrooms. It’s got nothing to do with cleanliness- the flushing honestly scares me to death! But if I ever fly anywhere further than California I’m going to have to get over that.

By the way I hate napping, too, and will pretty much only nap when I’m sick.

It’s almost (sort of) better than East to West Coast – when you know enough to know that you’re messed up. Jump 12 time zones in 24 hours, and you have NO IDEA where you are, and what time your body thinks it is. Thankfully, my internal clock is pretty flexible these days, and except for a few nights of stay up late/wake up early (which are actually super for productivity!), I tend to adjust without too much trouble.

As long as I can avoid the nap. [Or steal a brief one, while sitting at my desk. Those don’t usually give me a ‘nap hangover’ too badly!]

You can’t bring liquid bought post-security onto planes in Hong Kong?!?!?! I would die. I don’t try especially hard to hydrate on planes, but I usually have a billion layovers so don’t have to fly more than 5-6 hours. I’ll generally take some water from the flight attendants when they come by, though. That seems to work quite well.

Laundry will always and forever be my least favorite chore, no matter when it happens. Well, that and showering (yes, showering is a chore because it is INCREDIBLY BORING). But don’t worry, I do that quite regularly.

Happy Wednesday-it was a sunny, perfect-temperature kinda day! Also, I was so into what I was working on at the office that I stayed an extra couple of hours. That’s…. nerddom.

You wouldn’t die. You’re so dramatic. 😉 But no, you can’t bring liquid onto a plane in HK – they set up special security checks at the bottom of the jet bridge. But you can wear your shoes through security. Don’t ask me. I just do what TSA (or its international equivalent) asks…

Hm. Perhaps we should switch chores. I actually quite like laundry. But I hate cleaning the shower stall, and I’m not too fond of mopping, either. What do you say, can we engineer a switch??

And I <3 nerds, so you're in the clear. (Or else you should run...?)

I’m not very good about hydrating well on flights, I have to admit. But I do bring my nalgene and have something whenever a drink is available. But I really hate having to crawl over people.

I try to clean the house before I leave so I come back to a clean place…except for the laundry of course. But I’m always slow to unpack.

This trip, KMN left well after I did – and he DID clean the house, change the sheets, etc. so things were all nice-ified upon our return. What a treat to return home to such a tidy space!

9. Debbie @ DebRuns

I think I dislike going through the mail the most… mainly because you HAVE to go through it all, but 99.9% of it is junk!

My mom had DVT so I’m super careful about staying hydrated on flights, and I consider the need to use the restroom frequently just another good reason to get up and move my legs. I love that compression socks are popular now, because I like wearing mine on flights. Now I’m the cool kid, not weirdo! 🙂

Thankfully, Singapore (and its companies) seem a lot less intent on sending us piles of junk mail – most of what we get these days is important.

So you were debuting compression gear long before it became cool, huh? Good for you! 🙂

10. Nadiya @ Milk and Honey on the Run

Glad you got home safely and without delays 🙂

Interesting… I never through about hydration when travelling on the plane. Then again, unless I’m exercising I can go the whole day without drinking water.

Oh yeah… you can’t bring water with you into the airport. I’m uber cheap and would probably fill up some contained with tap water from the washroom or maybe a water fountain once actually in the airport. Fruits are great for hydration too 🙂 An apple is like 80% water 😉

Best of combating your jet lag 😀

The tricky part is that, in Hong Kong, ever AFTER you go through security, you can’t buy or refill water and bring THAT onto the plane. I travel quite a bit, and it’s the only airport where I’ve seen this happen. They set up security at the bottom of the jet bridge, RIGHT before you get onto the plane – and make everyone dump their water. Personally, the first time I went through – I was mostly relieved that I only refilled a bottle, rather than buying a bottle of water, since it was all going to get poured on the tarmac anyway….

I am horrible drinking enough water on long flights. I am also a solely window-seater. It’s the only spot I can sleep in and I refuse to ask people to move for me to go to the bathroom, so I just wait until they get up themselves, ha. It’s bad.

My least favorite just got home chore is unpacking and then doing the grocery shopping, because you usually have NOTHING in your fridge.

I 100% prefer the aisle, for bathroom access. However, when I’m traveling with KMN, I’m a bit more flexible. On this most recent trip, I had a window seat and he sat in the middle – so I only had to bother one stranger for my bathroom runs. 🙂 Bulkhead is also great for easy up-and-down access.

12. Pingback: 2013 Weekly Workout Round-Up (July 8-14) | Run With Holly