Sunday, Signday

I need some giggles this morning.  And we haven’t talked about funny signs in awhile.  So let’s do it, shall we?

Whatever you do, do not disturb the Hoser Eel.

Whatever you do, do not disturb the Hoser Eel.

FYI, We did not purchase the fridge with Healthy Cooling.  If you come visit, you will be served food from a regulary cooled refrigerator.   We hope you still consider visiting.

FYI: We did not purchase the fridge with Healthy Cooling. If you come visit, you will be served food from a regular refrigerator. We hope you still consider visiting, Green Plasma or not.

?

Oxymoron Much?

This wasn't exactly a sign.  But we do get some funny things in the mail.

This came in the mail a few days ago.  I do love me some Random Capitalization. Although, I hope their Selling Powers are better than their Psychic Powers, because they totally missed to mark on the Ringing Queries part.  [We aren’t planning to sell.  We don’t even OWN a condo to sell.  Heck, we don’t even LIVE IN a condo!]

Despite the clever sign, this business is now closed. :-(

Despite the clever sign, this business is now closed. 🙁

We did this on Sunday morning.  Race report coming soon!

We did this on Sunday morning. Race report coming soon!

To my celebrating friends: Blessed Easter!

To everyone in proximity to Easter candy: Do have a dark chocolate-covered marshmallow egg for me, OK?

Any good Easter traditions out there (church, family, friends, food, etc.)?

Ever “lost” (or failed to find) a real-egg-Easter-egg that ended up hiding away for weeks or months indoors?
We once “rediscovered” one in July.  It was hidden in some decorations that got stored into the attic.  As I recall, it wasn’t even that smelly…

23 thoughts on “Sunday, Signday

Those signs are hilarious! I would love to come across even one of those in my daily life.

We’re doing this survey at work about jobs the fishing industry has a hard time filling so I’ve been looking at a lot of HR information, and for some reason these specific HR people seem to capitalize EVERY noun, regardless of properness. It makes me giggle.

I can’t say that I’ve ever had a chocolate-covered marshmallow egg, but happy Easter to you!

I must admit that they don’t pop up every single day. It takes me awhile to amass enough for a decent post-full.

What’s your Problem with capitalizing random Nouns, huh??

Get thee to a CVS for some smushy chocolate-covered goodness (probably even on sale!) tomorrow. Look for the individually packaged eggs, by Reese’s or something. (not the peeps)

Hope you guys don’t mind a liberal definition of “sign”, including (but not limited to) random mailings and book covers. And welcome, Yum Husband! (That sounds weird, but whatever. I’m leaving it. 🙂 )

2. Amy @ Writing While Running

Sign Hunting was my favorite activity in China! But on the days I went looking for them, I never saw them. Then, I certainly remember how funny it was once I started learning more characters to see how many propaganda-type signs are everywhere in China. “Everybody speak the standard dialect of Chinese,” “Respect your grand leaders,” etc. That was a fun project.

Hahaha! I’m spoiled – most everything here is in English (and Chinese characters, and Malay…). And although it’s waning, they have a “Speak Good English” campaign – and the signs for that crack me up constantly! 🙂

Hahaha – for me, a personal worst! But KMN and I ran it as a training run – me after a month of plantar fasciitis and not too many long runs, him after battling some sort of bug all week. We made it to the finish line, and that was enough for us (yesterday). Looking forward to tackling the distance again soon, though. How was your run?

1. Paul

I run a PB of cos! It was my first HM after all. 🙂

I train hard for this race and felt prepared for it. Unfortunately the shuttle bus was running late so only reached the race site 15 mins before flag off. So there was a mad scramble to pin the bib, deposit the bag and visit the loo. Even though I started with the 3rd wave ard 6am, I did not have a proper warm up.

Ultimately it was more a mental challenge for me than a physical one. I really have to psyche myself after 15K when the sun came out to play. There were a few bottlenecks which were disruptive and some very demoralising loops (especially the one at MBS and the ending straight). It was not the best race experience but as it was my first HM, I guess it will always be memorable.

Now for my HM double feature this Sunday. Hope I will manage myself better mentally for this run.

Was too busy today to finish my report – but I would agree with much of what you said. This was only my fifth Singapore race, but by far my LEAST favorite (and the only one I would probably not sign up for again, honestly). And your description of the problems was spot-on. I have a few others to add – several of which were pretty serious safety concerns (in my opinion). But, I won’t give everything away – race report tomorrow, most likely!

Glad you’ll get another chance next weekend, and may be a little better prepared, mentally (hopefully the race is better prepared, logistically, too!). Don’t let Sunday’s race discourage you – next weekend is another chance!

I’m not signed up, but hoping to come out to cheer and share in the excitement!!

Thanks! No Easter bunny visit, but we ran a race, went to church, had lunch with friends, and dinner with family – not a bad way to spend the holiday. Hope you had some company for the day, even though W. was working!!!! Hugs back to you…

Love the signs! I was in Bangladesh a few years ago and there were some that did not even make sense…it was just a bunch of jumbled words. I would have gone to the French Toast language center…but only if they actually had french toast 😉

Can’t wait to hear about the race!!! I really love 2XU products, wish they would sponsor a race over here!

Hahaha. There’s sometimes a really bad one – but most often, things are just a LITTLE bit off (like in the letter above), and the spirit/intent is still well-conveyed.

So talk to me about 2XU. Have you ever used any other brand of compression? [Because we got our first 2XU products very recently, through the race, and KMN was not especially impressed by their ‘compression’ shorts. I haven’t tried mine yet. But I’m curious about how others think they compare to, for example, CWX?]

I’m a fan of 2XU too! I have only ever used their compression tights though, which are TIGHT! I’ve ran pretty much all of my endurance races in these tights and have loved them! I’ve never used other brands though, so can’t really compare unfortunately.

I have a pair of compression tri shorts (so they have a little bit of padding for the buttox). I can’t actually say I’ve used them running much, since I mostly use them for biking…but my legs always feel great after? Ha. They are on sale a lot on The Clymb.

Iiiiiiiinteretsing. Now I’m super intrigued to check them out for myself! [KMN was comparing CWX capris to 2XU shorts, too, so I’m not sure if the length difference may have affected how much support he felt like he had, too.

We had a quiet day yesterday — Ryan and I went swimming in the morning and went out for brunch.

I’ve never seen 2XU sponsor a race here before. Glad you were able to do the half marathon with your PF issues lately.

5. Shoe

You know it’s so funny, I was secretly reading your blog after having come over from Grace’s as well, but in a lurking way. And then today I saw you had commented on mine. So hello!

And yes, totally felt your deodorant, there are so many brands that I wish we got here so that I could try them. I managed to find some Secret brand roll-on in Lucky Plaza, of all places. 😀

Hi Shu! Glad you “outed” yourself (although I love all readers, silent or not)… 😉 I stalk quite a few places, myself. In fact, I really only started un-stalking when I started my own blog and wanted to get involved in the community. So, welcome/glad you’re here.

Hmmm….I seem to have lot of US friends willing to send deodorant, and some Singaporean friends in need of deodorant…perhaps we can start pairing people off for some kind of deodorant exchange program! 😀

6. runwkate

Happy Easter!

Great signage ;-). I love me a good hoser eel.

I ate plenty of chocolate for you – don’t worry. I’m pretty sure it lasts until about August. I used to stock up the day after Easter (chocolate on sale) and keep it on a special shelf until July.

That sign was actually in the service apts where we were staying until we found a place for ourselves. I giggled and pointed every time we walked past it. My husband is a very patient man. And letter spacing is *very* important! =)

In the US, I would stock up on cranberries like that. I LOVE cranberry sauce, but the berries are really only available Nov/Dec. So I’d freeze bags and bags, so I could make cranberry sauce all winter/spring/summer long. 🙂