Liebster Award: It’s a blog thing.
[Oh, dear. KMN, you can put your suit away. Really now. This is not a red carpet event. Sorry, hon. What’s that? You’re meeting a client? Oh. Well, then…pretend I never said anything. That is a great looking suit that you’re wearing! Carry on…]
A little research suggests that the details of the award have “evolved” (or at least played telephone), but basically if your blog is small (<200? <3,000? followers), you are eligible. A fellow blogger “nominates” you, and asks 11 questions for you to answer. You, in turn, share 11 facts about yourself and answer that blogger’s 11 questions and tag 11 other bloggers with 11 questions. Basically, the idea is to share some blog-love, and maybe point people toward some blogs they’ve never read before.
Anyway, this Liebster thing has been flying around the running blog-o-sphere recently. I’m not much of a joiner, so I hoped maybe I could dodge the whole thing. But just yesterday, both Jeano and Green Girl Running nominated me. These smart-funny-runny chicas have been really welcoming to this newbie blogger, and they are letting me mooch experience off of them: Jeano is using the Hanson’s Marathon Method to train for an upcoming marathon, and GGR is the first sufferer of iliopsoas tendonitis that I’ve ever know. So, it seemed a bit unfair not to play along.
Plus, part of the reason I write this blog is to help people get to know me. So what the heck: Let’s do this thing. Random things and questions should be easy. And this is a nostalgic exercise for me…it reminds me of those email chains that would circulate among friends about 10-12 years ago, where a list of questions came in the email, then you’d write in your answers and “tag” back the person who sent it to you, plus a bunch of new people. Remember those? No? Well…that’s probably because I’m older than you. [This is true a scary-lot in the runner-blog-land.] Anyway.
I’m pretty verbose (but if you’re reading this, you probably already knew that), so I’m going to break this up into a few posts. And I’m a bit nervous about the tagging part, since most everyone I know that qualifies has already been tagged, but what the heck. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, let’s do some RANDOM FACTS.
- I love the word “pseudopod”.
- As children, my sister and I used to chaperone imaginary walking, talking, life size birds on family outings. Their names were Veehka and Vuhka.
- One of the most frustrating things you can do is spell a word to me. The letters get all jumbled in my head. It’s awful. However, I can easily spell a word to you. I don’t know how I do it, but I definitely don’t see it in my head, then read it out to you.
- I do not eat mold. I do eat fungus.
- I am now married to the man who was once my counter-example for the “When Harry Met Sally” theory that a man and woman can’t be friends without at least one feeling romantically attracted to the other. Score one for my college roommate. [And run-on sentences.]
- Last year, KMN and I took 5 weeks and 9,000 miles to drive through 28 states from New Jersey to California. It. Was. AWESOME.
- I am missing eyelashes along ~1/3 of my right lower eyelid.
- My senior year in high school, I shared a lead in the school play (Cheaper by the Dozen), co-captained the swim team, and was a lawyer on our school’s county-champion Mock Trial Team. I have no idea where I got the energy for all that. Or the time.
- I once sliced my finger open (broken lab glassware) so deeply that I hit an artery and saw that whole “spurting blood with your heart pump” thing happening. I still hesitated calling for permission to go to the emergency room (required by my insurance at the time).
- I can peel an apple in one long, sprial-y ribbon.
- I just found a light bulb in the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet. Don’t ask me why it’s there – that drawer isn’t darker than any of the others…
Allrighty. It’s 11 PM Singapore-time, and I have a FaceTime date with my Dad. So, I’ll be back tomorrow to answer questions from Jeano and GGR. Stay tuned…
For the folks who know me: Did any of those 11 surprise you?
For the folks who don’t really know me: Which one of those 11 is most intriguing?
[In case I ever have to enter an “Intriguing Things About Me” contest…]