Good Mornings for a Monday (March 4)

1 Where The Sidewalk Ends

Hey guys, I found it!
[Where the Sidewalk Ends]
#silversteinhumor

2 Cheese!

Oh, baby!
KMN knows that I love cheese…and that I’m cheap.
So for Christmas, he got me some supermarket giftcards:
“For Cheese & Chocolate ONLY
Good man, that one.

3 Love Is...Favorite Capris

I post an inordinate number of these shots.
But I can’t help it!
I just rediscovered a favorite pair of capris!
You can’t even see how old and worn they are in this picture. Score.

4 You Know It Was A Good Party When...

You know it was a good party when…
The dishwasher is full of wine glasses the next morning.
The result of an evening of laughter and fellowship, shared with friends.

5 New Additions

Our New Additions!
Sweet Basil on the left and Lemon Basil on the right
We also tried to buy a tomato plant.
KMN had the foresight to taste test one of the tomatoes before we bought it.
ICKY!  We left the tomato plant at the nursery.

6 Goodbye Paper Shredder

RIP Mr. Paper Shredder
The first victim of a “forgot to plug into a voltage converter” mistake.
Frankly, I’m surprised it’s taken this long.
BOO for Holly’s carelessness!

7 YUM SnackBasically, The Perfect Snack

What kind of cheese would you buy with a Cheese-Only Gift Card?

I know how to use Sweet Basil, but what should I do with Lemon Basil?

16 thoughts on “Good Mornings for a Monday (March 4)

1. misszippy1

Poor Mr. Shredder! I’m sure something along those lines was inevitable, like you said!

Score on finding old friends like capris. And a cheese gift card? Heaven! I’d go for some goat varieties.

2. torontorunner

When I find a pair of pants/capris I like, I buy multiple of the same ones!!

Yes, that really is the perfect snack.
    Hmmm..I would go to town on a chocolate-only gift card. not really a cheese person?!

Hahaha – amusingly enough (because I don’t usually buy multiples), I actually did have 2 pairs of these! I think one got too worn out for decent wear, though, so it didn’t make the move. 🙂

Not cheese person = the Asian in you. One day, you’ll see the light, though. 😉

3. Nicole

there is an amazing if not uber expensive cheese shop that Jon and I went to once…well it has more than cheese but we blew our night out budget on cheese there: Jones the Grocer on Dempsey Hill. Amazing if you want to splurge on a fancy night in. There is also a good micro brew pub up there I think.

I’ve actually seen that spot – when we’ve been up for dinner on Dempsey. My certificates are good at Fairprice (which sometimes has something decent), Cold Storage (ditto, but costs more), and Jason’s (even more $, but better selection). More or less, we’re finding what we want for daily eating (cheddar, feta, mozz), just paying more. Although Jones sounds like a lovely treat! 🙂

4. Silas

I think the internet ate my earlier response… but my suggestions for using lemon basil are to try it with picatta, in a pesto, or with a caprese salad. I think the slight lemoniness would go well in those instances. I think it would also work well infused in olive oil or in a tea or tisane either to just enjoy, or to help with relaxing (and potentially headaches) or minor coughs or sore throats, since you will probably be using more sweet basil for cooking.

Hmm…strangely, I’ve been pondering if I have enough leaves on the sweet basil for pesto – but you’re absolutely right, the lemon would probably also be really nice. Maybe even mix them… (since the plants are smallish, and I don’t really want to kill them on the first go-round!). May have to try an olive oil infusion, too – that sounds delish. I love how you always help me think outside the box, Silas! 🙂

I am a huge fan of Dubliner cheddar cheese. Soo good! I don’t buy it often because I eat it too fast. Haha. What a nice idea to give you a gift card for cheese and chocolate. I would buy lots of dark chocolate too.

Definitely have a bar sitting in the fridge right now. =)

One of the tricky things is that all the brands here are different from the ones I know from the US! All the cheese is imported, a lot from Australia, and the rest from Europe – but now the fun/trick is finding new ones to love. But that’s a challenge I’ll happily take on! 🙂

6. Kim

I am also a big fan of cheese. I’m such a fan that I’m going to start making my own mozzarella soon. I’ve purchased most of the necessary components (rennet, CaCl2, etc..) and I have just a few more minor essentials on my list. I’ll let you know how it goes! Too bad you’re too far to share the “fruits” of my labor! (I have enough for approx. 47 gallons of milk, which was the smallest possible order). I’m VERY excited, to say the least!

AHHHH! This is something I always wanted to do in Rochester (went so far as to look into buying the cultures, etc.), but always put more energy to my bugs in the lab. I do make ricotta, but that’s pretty easy (no extra bacteria required). And now…I’m not sure how conducive the climate here is to making cheese. But once you do it, you HAVE TO let me know how it goes. I’m all excited about this – and it isn’t even my cheese! =)

Ahaha, I say any time you can get some Shel Silverstein humor in, go for it!

Those plants are shockingly green. I’ve never tried lemon basil and frankly, it confuses me. I feel like I wouldn’t want the two to mix (but then again, I’ve got the taste buds of a teenage boy).

I don’t think I can choose just one kind of cheese – brie, maybe? But also gouda, pepper jack, good ol’ cheddar, and, obviously, cheese whiz (not really).

The photo *may* have been edited to intensify the colors. Erm…I mean…the plants are always greener in Singapore? 🙂 I think I’m going to take a friend’s suggestion and go for pesto, since I sometimes put lemon juice in my pesto anyway, that seems like a pretty safe way to start…?

Cheez Whiz? You’d better be kidding, or we’re voting you off the blog. <--- KIDDING. 😉

8. Silas

I’m glad you liked the pesto idea. Herbs are one of my things, so if you have any other ones you would like ideas for, I’d be happy to help.

On the cheese topic, I have no idea if you can find it, but some of the best cheese I can recall having was the Balintubber cheddar that we had in Dublin. It had garlic and herbs mixed in, and was just amazing. That said, I haven’t seen it anywhere else, but I have been keeping an eye out ever since.

First, we’ll need to acquire some more herbs. We figured we’d start small. Except, our herbs weren’t listening, because already the basils need new pots. =)